SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Rydlyme to descale the raw water cooling system in a Yanmar engine? I have tried Salt Away but am not happy with the results. Also, does anyone know where Rydlyme is sold in So. Cal.? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I haven't used it myself but some customers have and report good results. That is what it is made for.

Any good marine store should be able to order it for you if they do not have it in stock.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used Rydlyme on my 1987 3gm30f in the heat exchanger following the Maine sail suggestions. It worked extremely well.

·
Registered
23,491 Posts
That's the stuff. It works very well.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
We have used RydLyme on our engine heat exchanger (in situ) several times and use it on our A/C heat exchanger every year (annual maintenance) and have been very pleased with the results. If you have difficulty obtaining the material, "Barnacle Buster" is a similar product that reported works as well and may be more readily available in your area.

FWIW...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have used Rydlyme on my raw water cooled Yanmar 3GM about
every 2-3 years (Long Island Sound).
Good rusults.
I remove zincs from engine and replace impeller after treatment,
also remove thermostat to make sure for circulation (can just make sure motor is warm instead) after treatment must neutralize for rust, circulating baking soda in water throught system.
When I removed exhaust manifold on 28 year old motor last year
looked new inside.
wmjr gives good advise, follow Mainesail's instructions, thinking
info there for both heat exchanger and raw water motor not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts