SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Very sorry to hear Guy. We've all been there though. I can't say I've broken down in tears, but there's been many a day when I've just sat in my cockpit and stared out into nothing, wondering what the hell I'd gotten myself into. I want to say those days are fewer now that I'm over two decades into this boating/cruising thing, but I think it's more that I've become acustomed to the feeling of being overwhelmed at times.

... or maybe I'm just numb :unsure:.

I may have missed this, but have you considered hauling out and leaving the boat where it is for the winter? Added expense I suppose, but you'd have to pay for winter storage somewhere. Port Colburne is not far from home -- at least not by Trans Canada.

You certainly aren't alone. I've been doing this boating thing, in one form or another, since I was 12. I haven't lived ashore since 1969. And yet there are some days when I just wish I was sitting in a rocker on the porch with no boat chores or repairs to do. I get depressed and can find no worthwhile reason why I am in my 70s and struggling so hard to get things to go right.
And then I think about sitting in that rocker on that porch and wondering what I could do to keep myself occupied. Even pre-covid I couldn't come up with an answer other than wait to die. I don't have a green thumb, I don't have any hobbies other than those associated with boating, and I don't know squat about living ashore.
Sitting in the cockpit, all glum and morose, I'll look around and see how beautiful it is around me. I live in a waterfront home at a fraction of the cost most have to pay for it. My home moves, so I can go virtually anywhere and sleep in my own bed every night. And it comes to me.
Things ain't really all that bad.

This is disheartening to read. Anyone who has owned a boat for some time knows that sh*t happens and it costs a lot of blood, sweat and tears and $$ to fix it.

I do know that when there is a failure... it seems to "cascade" and lead to other failures. This is a characteristic/artifact of "complex systems".

I have been out there and lost a circ pump on a Volvo penta in the Caribbean. I was stuck and had to find a USA supplier to ship and then get it through customs and then do the install. The whole thing took a few weeks... so I was unable to use the engine, make hot water, charge batteries and so forth... only 2 small solar panels!

I've done some serious work / upgrade / repairs... almost all alone... one engine gasket job was done by a mechanic in winter storage. Tools and knowledge I did not have. I paid dearly for this. But I did an below decks AP, all electronics.... engine drive refer... Espar heating... complete rewire and battery upgrade.... soda blast and barrier coat... sand blast and fair keel. But all were done over many years... and not when I was in the middle of a journey. I started with a new boat.... so it is a completely different story than an older used boat. You just don't know when the service life of some mission critical component will come to an end. And it always does at the wrong moment.

Seems to me that steering and propulsion are really mission critical for coast... add in sails and rigging for offshore.

Hang in there... The choice of walking away is not a good one.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Very sorry to hear Guy. We've all been there though. I can't say I've broken down in tears, but there's been many a day when I've just sat in my cockpit and stared out into nothing, wondering what the hell I'd gotten myself into. I want to say those days are fewer now that I'm over two decades into this boating/cruising thing, but I think it's more that I've become acustomed to the feeling of being overwhelmed at times.

... or maybe I'm just numb :unsure:.

I may have missed this, but have you considered hauling out and leaving the boat where it is for the winter? Added expense I suppose, but you'd have to pay for winter storage somewhere. Port Colburne is not far from home -- at least not by Trans Canada.
Thanks Mike, i considered 2 options. Storing on land at thjs specific marina won't work as their lot is full and they want me to provide a cradle which is a loooong way from here. I also considered trucking but ye olde cruising kitty would cry at that by now. My guts just want to get this old girl home. This is a once in a lifetime thing for me and I just don't want a forever * attached to it saying I didn't -quite- make it home.

Rudder was out. Collinite wax x3 and 2x hairspray for release agents applied. Butyl dam made. Rudder in. Graphite silica fast cure injected. Clasp hands and pray.

Attachments

Thanks Mike, i considered 2 options. Storing on land at thjs specific marina won't work as their lot is full and they want me to provide a cradle which is a loooong way from here. I also considered trucking but ye olde cruising kitty would cry at that by now. My guts just want to get this old girl home. This is a once in a lifetime thing for me and I just don't want a forever * attached to it saying I didn't -quite- make it home.

Rudder was out. Collinite wax x3 and 2x hairspray for release agents applied. Butyl dam made. Rudder in. Graphite silica fast cure injected. Clasp hands and pray.
Where are you and where is your destination?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Thanks everyone for your words too. I'll find out in a few hours if my release agents worked and my rudder is not stuck in place forever haha. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Catching my first mahi while sailing wide open ocean. The crystal waters. The feeling of winning everytime I've managed to figure out a fix while underway that isn't janky. The fatigue gods have been slowly winning but you guys are right. I'm close. Just hold fast.

Attachments

I get you. I'd want to do the same (get home that is). And a moot point if they don't have room for you where you are. Not trying to push, but Port Dover a whee bit west is a big marina. I bet they could accomodate you if you decided to try and winter there. Of course they are some 40 nm away, which might be impossible. Just thinking of options for you...

Trucking is costly, but shipping a cradle might not be. I shipped my cradle from Spragge to Thunder Bay for a very modest price using Manitoulin Transport. This was 15 years ago, so obviously things have changed, but it might be affordable. Another option is to rent, or even buy, jackstands or a new/used cradle. You could probably resell in the Spring. I did this (bought a cradle) in Belleville and broke even.

Finger's crossed on the repair!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I get you. I'd want to do the same (get home that is). And a moot point if they don't have room for you where you are. Not trying to push, but Port Dover a whee bit west is a big marina. I bet they could accomodate you if you decided to try and winter there. Of course they are some 40 nm away, which might be impossible. Just thinking of options for you...

Trucking is costly, but shipping a cradle might not be. I shipped my cradle from Spragge to Thunder Bay for a very modest price using Manitoulin Transport. This was 15 years ago, so obviously things have changed, but it might be affordable. Another option is to rent, or even buy, jackstands or a new/used cradle. You could probably resell in the Spring. I did this (bought a cradle) in Belleville and broke even.

Finger's crossed on the repair!
Good ideas. I actually was voat hunting over at that marina and remember them having a nice sized lot. Epoxy has kicked and what's left on my cups looks mostly done. Going to give it to the last minute before I try breaking it loose. Don't want to risk deforming the epoxy if it's still semi cured. If all fails I'll be marina shopping for sure.

Curious how you got the release agent on the rudder shaft. Did you drop it out of the boat first, then inject the epoxy?

edit: missed the post above where you described this. Searching for how to delete a post on the new forum software.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Curious how you got the release agent on the rudder shaft. Did you drop it out of the boat first, then inject the epoxy?

edit: missed the post above where you described this. Searching for how to delete a post on the new forum software.
No worries Minne! Got it guys! (Knock on wood). I'll post an update under my rudder thread for posterity. Back in my slip now. Looking up WX windows tonight.

Windfinder says Wednesday and Friday might be okay, then up to gale force by Friday night and just honkin all week end.

Where you going after Port Dover? Long way to anywhere good on the CDN side.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Windfinder says Wednesday and Friday might be okay, then up to gale force by Friday night and just honkin all week end.

Where you going after Port Dover? Long way to anywhere good on the CDN side.
Figure we just need to make pelee for a safe 360 piece of rock to hide behind and then blast up the river to st clair between storms. I saw some big winds coming in the forecast. Going to have a look tonight and see where they land now. I hate racing TOWARDS a storm especially when there aren't good hiding spots other than your destination.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Erieau maybe. Long way, but closer than Pellee. There isn't much there, but there is a sheltered anchorage.
Excellent I'll have a look. I did mark every single breakwall and anchorage and marina with depth I could find in case we need to ditch. I'll see if that was one!

That's great news!

When we sailed through we went into Erieau. Nice marina. Full service. Lots of depth. We also stopped at Colchester. Water was thin for us (6' draft), but we got in. It's small, but right near the mouth of the river. We also anchored off of Pelee for a couple of days. You can get pretty close, but watch out for the ferry route on the west side. It too cuts in pretty close.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
That's great news!

When we sailed through we went into Erieau. Nice marina. Full service. Lots of depth. We also stopped at Colchester. Water was thin for us (6' draft), but we got in. It's small, but right near the mouth of the river. We also anchored off of Pelee for a couple of days. You can get pretty close, but watch out for the ferry route on the west side. It too cuts in pretty close.
Excellent and good to know! At this point we aren't afraid to motor if we have to. Just gotta pick windows around that nonstop SW conveyor belt.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.