SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Or, given how nasty the forecast gets, instead of Pelee you could head for the big public marina at Leamington.
Perfect I missed that one somehow. I've marked almost every spot that we could use on here. They may not all appear based on zoom but we've got a decent list if this turns into 40nm hops instead of a 48hr sleigh ride like we did when heading down last year.

I tried uploading my charts but it failed. Over my cap and Google Fi is throttling my speed heavily lol

Boy do I feel your pain. It sounds like you just need a little break, if you can. Sailing San Francisco Bay for the first years of my lightly sailed 1988 boat showed me where all the deficiencies were in the gooseneck, autopilot, various equipment, bilge pump, electrical, sails, boom vang, portlights, blocks, mast boot, etc., etc., etc. Things broke left and right. Then I did a round-trip to Hawaii and back and broke a bunch more things, some of which was due to my inexperience not knowing how to control the dynamic forces in light wind and big swell. So it could be a multifaceted issue of older boat, experience level and how quickly you took off before testing all the systems under all conditions. Hope it gets better!

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Sorry to hear! Just think, by the time you get home you'll have a new boat! Having done all the usual replacements in one year. Hopefully, you'll have nothing more than years of boring oil changes, and filter changes and lots of great sailing left.
Lol here's hoping. Just rode out tornadoes touching down right by us am hour ago. Can't wait to get home to a break!

Discussion starter · #50 ·
You must have pissed off some gods somewhere ;). Have you made it further west? How'd the repair hold?
Repair feels good (knock wood) but haven't had a window out of Colborne yet. Getting 24hr cycles of SW blowing 25kts right up the pipe. This last system just smashed through and I'm planning to catch the dead air tomorrow lorning to make port dover and basically just pick my way 40nm at a time until I get to the west end or finally get a better window. Just a bowling alley of SW blows here. Today blew 6ft waves with 5.8sec periods until the tornado stuff then it really ripped.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Think of all the Stories you will have to tell!
Absolutely haha. Morale is much better now that the rudder is fixed. I think the last 5 months or so of travelling during covid while running out of time, 2 months delay, and multiple critical system failures took its toll for a bit.

I'm exhausted and never thought I'd say this but godamn I'm close to just calling it. We are close to 6000nm into the trip and running out of time and money. Yes boats are expensive and yes they need constant repairs but good God mine is hitting my breaking point. I feel like every mile we've logged cost a repair and cash. The logistics of finding parts, of figuring out repairs, of doing them (I've done every repair except the actual CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW RUDDER) has almost broken me at this point. The virus that shall not be named has not made this easier. Now I'm trapped in a marina only 500nm from home with deadlines for work and winter closing in tightly and I'm arranging i believe the 7th haulout now to epoxy form a new rudder bearing. I had to move closer to the lift dock as winds will be gusting 25kt tomorrow making leaving the slip near impossible and when i landed at the fuel dock the kids there didn't grab the lines and cleat them other than a single loop causing the wind to push my bow in. I'm yelling at them and my crew to stop it while I literally lept from the helm as i saw everyone just stare at what was going on and bang there goes my bow in-between two pilings into the iron frame edge smasbing a quarter sized area of gel coat out. That just felt like the final straw. It was the most avoidable slow motion crash of all time. I'm tired frustrated and PO'd I guess. How do you live aboards deal with ABOVER AVERAGE repair years? Honestly without exaggerating I've been fixing things on the daily since April. I can't even remember them all but here's a list I have off the cuff and this doesn't include upgrades this is just repairs:

Engine
-fresh water pump
-raw water pump rebuild
-2 water pump belts
-2 alternator belts
-4 fuel washers
-2 alternators
-rewired alternator output cable
-2 raw water impellers and gaskets
-4 engine mounts
-ignition switch
-coolant sensor
-stuffing box and packing
-cutless bearing
-3 prop shaft anodes
-fuel lift pump
-6 crush washers
-valve clearances
-damper plate
-transmission rebuild
-engine alignments (10+)
-tach sensor

Hull
-epoxy kit and glass for minor dings
-anti foul paint
-ENTIRELY NEW RUDDER
-pulled new rudder to adjust washer day after replacing it
-resealed all 4 long port lights
-resealed all opening portlights
-rebedded mast step
-rebedded mast electrical sockets
-rebedded solar vent
-replumbed and wired entirely new auto bilge pump system
-rebedded port side chain plate
-upper rudder bushing replacement
-lower rudder bushing replacement

Rig/Sails
-stitched leech on genny 2x
-stitched luff on genny
-replaced reef tie down line
-new split backstay and turnbuckles

Other
-stove fuel can repairs due to corrosion
-dinghy outboard carb rebuilt 6x
-dinghy outboard replaced
-2x seats rebuild dinghy
-rear and front dinghy entire seat replacement
-new binnacle compass
-stitched entire enclosure/bimini/dodger as seams blew
-rewired entire main panel and runs
-rewired entire solar array
-rewired entire nav station panel
-replumbed entire head and holding tank

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.