SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, how do you deal with driving rain and glasses. Contacts aren't an option for me as they are for many others.

What techniques, options do you use when forced to wear glasses during a down pour while at the helm?

-Chris

·
Banned
325 Posts
I just deal with it. A clean tee shirt to wipe your specs on. Of course a good hat if it's raining. I find the salt water spray more of a pain, it slaps you right in the face, a hat won't stop that.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I've tried Rain-x before. It works ok but not great. I went sailing on the local lake and some rain came by. I just took them off and set them aside. I could see well enough but the rain didn't last too long then either.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
1. Don't sail in the rain.
2. Wear a hat or hood with a good brim.
3. Keep some microfiber cloths in your pockets for swiping.
4. Get new glasses with Crizal lens coating. Yes, it is really improved, hydrophobic and scratch resistant. And your optometrist CAN usually sell it for half of their first asking price.
5. Wear well-vented ski goggles.
6. See a new eye doctor, see if contacts really will be impossible. They may not give you a full correction, but half a cup beats none in the rain.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
I was thinking of ski goggles. Would a dive mask work?
Nice Siamese there in your pic.

Ski goggles would be more comfortable than a dive mask, but a dive mask would probably work well - if you don't mind looking a bit foolish.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Nice Siamese there in your pic.

Ski goggles would be more comfortable than a dive mask, but a dive mask would probably work well - if you don't mind looking a bit foolish.
And of course having to breath through your mouth might take some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The worst is fog and mist. Glasses get so bad that my marginally bad eyesight without the glasses off is better than completely fogged glasses. Looking through the dodger helps, but it gets hard to dodge the Maine lobstah traps this way.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I had my eyes fixed long ago.. but until then, I dealt with rain by going without. I was not blind without my glasses (I was near sighted, but not bad) and when raining hard, it didn't matter if I wore glasses or not..

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have a dive mask with prescription lenses, I think it's a really good thing to have aboard for any sailor who wears glasses...

But wearing it on deck is probably a bit overkill for most situations... Even in the driving rain while riding out Hurricane Arthur up in the Vineyard back in July, I never felt the need to resort to pulling out the mask... A sheet or two of paper towel or similar tucked in a jacket pocket still works pretty well for me...

One of my favorites is an old vulcanized rubber flat-topped rain hat made by Black Diamond of Canada... They went out of business some time ago, but some of their products have been resurrected by another company, unfortunately they're only offering a Sou'wester, it seems... If you ever come across one of the flat-brimmed on eBay or somewhere, grab it... Mine's still going strong after 20+ years...

A link here:

Black Diamond Sou'wester

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
A roll of 1/2 sheet kitchen towel under the dodger. Use as required.

I have tried both dive mask and expensive double glazed ski mask. The glasses steam up in seconds. [ Caribbean sailing ]

·
Registered
213 Posts
My solutions:

1.- stay under the dodger/bimini
2.- wear a hat - the brim should be wide enough so it can shield you from rain that is not horizontal...
3.- as some have said, I am not totally blind and we're not going that fast that I can take off glasses if it is too much bother due to mist, fog, driving rain. This would be wise to do if you have to start doing things on deck, when all things you're dealing with are about within an arm's length, anyway.
4.- Grin and bear it if all fails and keep cleaning them

Have fun, anyway

·
Registered
584 Posts
My solutions:

3.- as some have said, I am not totally blind ..... I can take off glasses if it is too much bother due to mist, fog, driving rain. This would be wise to do if you have to start doing things on deck, when all things you're dealing with are about within an arm's length, anyway.

Have fun, anyway
Gotta agree there. I learned my lesson about glasses and going forward a few weeks ago. When we went to bring the sails down on the way into our marina, we were out in the strongest winds we'd experienced yet in our limited experience. While I was struggling to the get the headsail down in gusty 20 knot winds (I know.. nothing to most folks around here, but to me it as pretty intense) while the clew was beating me to death, the sheets ripped my wear-over sunglasses ("GeriShades") AND my progressive lens glasses off my head. Fortunately, they remained on deck instead of taking a permanent swimming vacation. I managed to stay calm, retrieve both pairs, get the sail down and lines tamed, and we made it home unscathed. Since then, my glasses remain in the cabin when going forward. As other posters have said, I can see well enough to function, but glasses sure make things look sharper. On the other hand, foggy or rained-on glasses don't... so off they go.

Barry

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a dive mask with prescription lenses, I think it's a really good thing to have aboard for any sailor who wears glasses...

[/url]
Jon,
Do you have any advice about getting a prescription dive mask made? I have thought these might be great before we go to BVI next year. But I wasn't sure how useful or expensive they would be. Also, I have progressive lenses now in my glasses because I need reading glasses too.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Gotta agree there. I learned my lesson about glasses and going forward a few weeks ago. When we went to bring the sails down on the way into our marina, we were out in the strongest winds we'd experienced yet in our limited experience. While I was struggling to the get the headsail down in gusty 20 knot winds (I know.. nothing to most folks around here, but to me it as pretty intense) while the clew was beating me to death, the sheets ripped my wear-over sunglasses ("GeriShades") AND my progressive lens glasses off my head. Fortunately, they remained on deck instead of taking a permanent swimming vacation. I managed to stay calm, retrieve both pairs, get the sail down and lines tamed, and we made it home unscathed. Since then, my glasses remain in the cabin when going forward...
I suggest you wear an eyewear retainer. We have several on the boat for me, my wife, and guests. They look nerdy, but they've saved my glasses a few times. They're up there with pfd and sunscreen in my book of proactive safety gear.

Reactions: jimgo and bblument
1 - 20 of 41 Posts