SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned to my boat after a few weeks or so to discover that the bitter end of the fender line was trapped between the fender and the hull. It looks to have rubbed clear to the old paint color in three spots (see photo below). My hull is sprayed on Awlgrip Teal, a color for which there is no touch up paint available. So, before I go off and purchase a pint of Awlgrip, can anyone tell me if it is possible to A) Apply B) Match and what kind of prep and application would you recommend?

[URL="

I also have a few assorted scratches and dings I would like to cover, so I will certainly be able to use more than a few drops of the pint.
Thanks!

·
Registered
25,125 Posts
They look more like a flake was chipped off than a wear spot. The difference could be how well the edges of those blemishes are adhered.

Unfortunately, Awlgrip is not very repairable, especially against aged and oxidized paint. Your new pint will have to be artificially aged, or it would stand out worse than the blemish. Then, it just doesn't blend in well. At best, you can cover a blemish so that it's less noticeable to the eye, but will likely be a clear repair up close. An artist brush on a small scratch is the best approach.

However, sometimes, it's just better to let her show her age gracefully. Tons of plastic surgery, usually makes her face look ridiculous.

If you actually have AwlCraft, it would be an entirely different story. That can be feathered and resprayed.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. I was afraid of that. And you may be right about it flaking off. The guy did a rush job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.