SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the life expectancy of a well maintained fiberglass Hull?

Much of the discussion on this BB involves the purchase and retro-fit of 70''s & 80''s boats. While this is certainly the most cost effective avenue to a well founded cruising vessel, ten years from now will we have a worthless hull loaded with quality (and expensive) hardware?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
The oldest fiberglass boats date only from about the ''60''s. The ones that haven''t hit things still seem to be floating. Some of them are sought-after classics, and others are ugly mistakes (just as when they were built.) If you buy one, make sure you like it, because it''s likely to still be around 30 years from now unless you hit something with it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ahoy, My 1963 all fiberglass yawl built in Great Britian was certianly not what you would call well maintained but the vessel is a tank when it comes to construction. The hull and cabin (all one piece) are thick and ribbed like hell. Bulkheads of mahogany are numerous and well placed. I have almost complete visual acess to the hull inside and I can tell you that fiberglass well done is here to stay. having a nearly 40 year old boat with bone dry bildges is unreal.Modern construction methods are rarely so good. Unfortunatley the fiberglass masts did not survive the refit except as a boom and bowsprit. Look at my personal page for photo''s. Big Red 56

1 - 3 of 3 Posts