SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice with this fiberglass hull repair would be MUCH appreciated!

My Prindle 16 began sinking last time we took her out! One of the hulls was taking on water...very quickly. Fortunately we made it back to shore safely. After this experience, I inspected the boat and found that a repair is necessary on one of the hulls where the rudder bolts to the rear of the hull. See pictures. Typically I would not be too afraid to tackle a fiberglass repair, but this particular repair is at the rudder bolts, so this repair will have to support the high loads (shear, compression, and tension) transmitted from the water to the rudder when turning. I already removed two of the lower bolts that hold the rudder to the boat. Any advice how to go about this repair would be MUCH appreciated! In particular, I hope to learn how to make this repair strong and thick enough to allow the long rudder bolts threads to grab onto this repair and support the high loads it will see. I would like to complete repairs this weeks and sail Miami bays this weekend for the 4th! God bless America!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
how did you find that leak? what year? do you have deck port holes.. first thing I thought is find another hull. but it could be fixed. there should be an aluminum plate it the hull that the screws thread into but it looks like it has been fixed (and i use that term loosely) before. two ways to fix it, the right way and the go sailing way. seeing the paint job it has you want the go sailing way. cut out the plate and damaged area and attach the plate to the rudder gudgeon and bondo the plate in the proper location. remove the gudgeon, sand off all the gelcoat from the transom and about 2" around the sides of the hull and fiberglass up the entire transom using epoxy resin, 4 plys of 7 oz modified loose 2x2 twill weave cloth with the cloth fibers at 45 degrees to make it form around the corners better . keep the bolt holes open with a pencil or dowel wrapped with packing tape. sand smooth and spraypaint, bolt on the rudder and go sailing.cloth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
how did you find that leak? what year? do you have deck port holes.. first thing I thought is find another hull. but it could be fixed. there should be an aluminum plate it the hull that the screws thread into but it looks like it has been fixed (and i use that term loosely) before. two ways to fix it, the right way and the go sailing way. seeing the paint job it has you want the go sailing way. cut out the plate and damaged area and attach the plate to the rudder gudgeon and bondo the plate in the proper location. remove the gudgeon, sand off all the gelcoat from the transom and about 2" around the sides of the hull and fiberglass up the entire transom using epoxy resin, 4 plys of 7 oz modified loose 2x2 twill weave cloth with the cloth fibers at 45 degrees to make it form around the corners better . keep the bolt holes open with a pencil or dowel wrapped with packing tape. sand smooth and spraypaint, bolt on the rudder and go sailing.cloth
Thanks Overbored! To answer your questions, I found the leak after pulling the boat out of the water and watching the water that was inside the hull leak out of the stern transom. The Prindle is about 10 years old. I bought the boat recently for $1200 with the trailer. I'm not too interested in making it perfect, since it's a cheap older boat, but I would like to keep it sailable! The nearest deck port hole is 6' away.

Unusually, a metal plate, or even threaded insert, was not in the stern. Perhaps a prior owner repaired it and didn't use a replacement aluminum plate. This time around I plan to use a plate with tapped holes, as you suggest. I assume that you mean that the metal plate is to be glued inside the hull, not glued to the exterior of the existing hull. As I understand you, I will glue a metal plate with tapped holes on the inside of the stern. This will all be covered, then, with fiberglass layers. THANKS!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Dude, you can fix that. I agree with bored on the plate. You just need something solid to tap into.

Fiberglassing is really pretty easy. Don't be afraid to dig into it. My boys and I completely restored a Spirit 17 (a Frankenstein of a Prindle and Hobie)...then sailed it right onto the rocks and restored it again.

I love that boat!!!

Beach Cats in Rehab

(Be prepared, it's quite a saga.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Awesome. Thanks! I sanded off the gelcoat, exposing the fiberglass. About that metal plate with the tapped holes, is the one pictured below large enough? I quickly machined this aluminum plate, but only considered later that it might be too small to distribute forces and lower pressure sufficiently. I don't know how large the plates are on the Hobie 16, which I understand also uses aluminum. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Awesome. Thanks! I sanded off the gelcoat, exposing the fiberglass. About that metal plate with the tapped holes, is the one pictured below large enough?

I quickly machined this aluminum plate, but only considered later that it might be too small to distribute forces and lower pressure sufficiently. I don't know how large the plates are on the Hobie 16, which I understand also uses aluminum. Thoughts?
That plate looks to be sufficient to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I patched the hole with fiberglass, and the aluminum plate, as described above, is placed inside the transom. The fiberglass has not yet been coated with any fairing or gel coat. Since I very much want to sail in Miami's Key Biscayne tomorrow, could I sail with the fiberglass patch bare, without any fairing or gel coat? The fiberglass patch has fully cured. I imagine that the fiberglass is waterproof, and that a day of exposure to water won't harm anything. I would plan on completing the fairing and gel coat work next week. Thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.