SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hit on Block this summer. One yard was going to fill and apply gel coat for $450. Another told me the glass mat had been crushed slightly and wanted to do a full grind out job to the tune of $2400. Moreover, they indicated I should do the work ASAP lest any moisture work it's way in the the mat. Yet another yard indicated the job would cost somewhat less but that there was no particular rush to do it. It could wait, in other words, till the spring.

The boat is 3 years new and I will be paying for the work.

Opinions?

Eric

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Difficult to say without pictures if just your gel coat was damaged or if damage extends into the laminate. You have to decide based on what they showed you.
Yard 3 should never have said NO RUSH. You are in freeze country and any water in those cracks can freeze and expand over the winter causing a bigger job in the spring.

If you can see the laminate...I think the guy quoting $2400 is probably right.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd second what Cam said. Unless you're storing the boat in heated storage, any damaged laminate needs to be covered so water doesn't get into it and freeze.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It would be cheaper to do it yourself, using my bible "Don Caseys complete sailaboat maintenance manual," if you are a little handy with tools and glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts