SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
Being an avid "do-it-yourselfer" myself, I applaud your spirit. After mucking up what I thought was a simple, non-structural fiberglass repair, I have learned that sometimes you need to get a professional involved.

First, from what I've read about fiberglass, more epoxy does not make a stronger bond. The strength is in fiberglass cloth.

Second, it appears there is a core material sandwiched in the fiberglass. Does this need to be built up or repaired?

I wonder what else may be going on under roller plate. Since you've already started removing fasteners, you might as well inspect the rest of this. As stated previously, marine quality fasteners are readily available.

Considering the structural importance of this repair, it might be prudent to at least get a professional, in person (no offense anybody) consultation.

I hate to spoil the party, but I'd really hate to see you lose your rig.

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
Go for it. It sounds like you're well informed and well prepared. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

· Registered
32 Posts
Reaction score
Ugly is subjective. I'd love to see pictures of your finished project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.