SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1974 Cal 2-29 (Jenson). How does this model compare to other fiberglass sail boats of that period. I'm mainly concerned with the fiberglass and blistering as well as any other concerns I should look for.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
About par for the course, perhaps a little better than most. The Cal's are good boats for what they are. Unless you have a major blister issue I wouldn't stress it.

Fiberglass is a funny thing, it doesn't age based on the calander, but based on the number of times (and severity) it is stressed. So a boat that was raced heavily for a long time will be much more of a problem than an older boat that was never taken out and used.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
While all FG boats blister to some extent, Cals are not known to be particularly prone to blisters. As alluded to above, the overall workmanship of Cal is usually considered to be above average, particularly for that era. That being said, the history of an older boat will have as much, or more, of an effect on its present condition as will anything else. If it has been well maintained, not raced particularly hard, and hasn't had any major accidents, a Cal 2-29 can be a very good choice. The only major problem common to many Cals of that era is that they often had a steel reinforcing beam at the base of the compression post that can corrode over time (a Google search will undoubtedly provide details on this).

Make an offer contingent upon the outcome of a survey. A good surveyor should be able to find any major faults.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Cal's are like C&C's in one respect - no-one ever said they regretted buying one (at least in my experience).

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a 1978 Cal 2-27 with no blisters.

One plus over some other models is the encased keel: no keel bolts to corrode and release your keel into the deep.

I also prefer the Cal's wooded interior over a lot of the plainer fiberglass (or worse) interiors.

I've had this boat for 2 years and love it!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Unless

1. nobody ever spilled any water in the head area pan which drains directly onto the beam

2. never put and ice in the cooler which also dumps water in the beam area

3. never had water leak down the original mast electric cable which amazingly enough also drips water on the beam

There will be some level of issue with the beam

The other big issue is the plywood cored decks absolutely have to have some issues and the bulkheads are very prone to rot were the chain plates bolt on (this is 6 locations )

I love my Cal 29 and they were the well made price point boat of there day and had most had owners with a price point outlook on boat care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts