SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a San Juan 24, and it's missing a Boom Vang. I need a Fiddle Block with Becket/Cam, and i'm wondering what is the minimum rated working load I need? There's a huge price difference between a 900 lbs and 2000 lbs Fiddle Block, and I would love to save a few bucks! :)

Thanks!!

Josh

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well now a days the line is SO strong ergonomics of use become the issue

It most likely going to be 3/8 BECAUSE its easy on your hands to handle the line

MY mainsheet is 3/8 on 72 mm blocks

My backstay and a bunch of other stuff is 5/16 on 50 mm and there like kids toys

My J24 vang is 3/8 and i think a combo of easy to pull and blocks that will not fail

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Have a look at Garhauer. They sell whole vang assemblies and the prices and quality can't be beaten.

There's a lot of force on a vang, so don't cheap out. At Garhauer you won't have to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of a response. Been busy workin on the boat. Thanks for the great feedback though!! By the way, fantastic pics Tom!

It's for a 3/8's line. I was thinking about a 60mm (1760lbs Load) LEWMAR Fiddle block. The price is about $75 on West Marine. I'm not a cheap guy, but on top of everything else, I just dropped a massive amount on a new furling system and jib. A $300 fiddle block may force me to sell my children into slavery. That is, if I had any! :D

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help!!

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Would think that is plenty, we are talking about a SJ24 here so not exactly a massive mainsail to tame. I can't even remember what I had on my C&C24, likely some of Schaeffer gear from the 80s and I never managed to break the vang.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I've used the plain bushing Lewmar blocks on two boats, one with a 150sqft main and one with a 200sqft main. Both were reaved with 3/8" line. They have worked well and adjust well and handle the high loads just fine.

We did break the hound that held the vang on the Catalina 25, but the blocks held up just fine. Catalina used a stupid design that couldn't handle vang loads very well downwind (when the boom isn't aligned with the center of the boat).

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I broke a wire attachment from vang to mast. The vang clipped onto the boom, so I got to watch my entire brand new vang assembly fly about 100ft in a graceful arc, into the bay, and sink without trace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I was exploring ebay for some used fiddle blocks, and I found a set of Harken Blocks, one with a Cam/Becket, and bought it for $65. The owner says everything still works properly.

The seller didn't offer of model # in the product description, but he says they're both about 9 inches long. I'm guessing these have a higher load capacity then the Lewmar block i was looking at, but please let me know if I screwed up!! :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts