SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, sorry for the complete noob question. Role your eyes and shake your head here. Go ahead...

Ok,

We were out sailing around angel island in san francsico Bay on Sunday 6/21 at about 1pm on a Cal 27. The Jib and Main were both up. We were making about 5-6 knots. When we were about to go round to the back side of angel island (we went counterclockwise: leaving from sausalito around angel island then up raccoon straight back to sausalito) I noticed that the the tiller/rudder was excessively hard to move, almost like all the bearings were grinding away. At one point I thought the tiller might even snap (I know drama, sorry). I was getting a bit concerned, though a no point did we lose steerage. It was just exceedingly hard to do course corrections.

When we came around the backside of angel island into raccoon straight, I noticed that there was seemingly no pressure on the tiller at all. I had to wag us back and forth a bit to convince myself the rudder was still down there (of course it was)

So my question is what would account for such strong pressure. I realize the tide/current yes, but can it really be that strong that you would fight to steer?

Or should I get the tiller rudder checked - I had someone dive the boat to clean it up and he said everything looked good underneath...

Thanks!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@freesail99
yes the rudder would wag back and forth a bit (the tiller would wiggle slightly in the hand) when the sails are dropped and we were motoring back with the outboard at about 3/4 throttle.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@AdamLein

The wind was at about 20 knots, gusting to 25knots. we had full main and jib up. High tide occurred at 12pm.
When the wind would gust the boat felt like it wanted to turn into the wind and I had to fight the tiller to keep us straight. At this point I turned us into the wind and dropped the jib.
Once came into racoon straight, moving the tiller was effortless. IT almost felt like the rudder was not connected.

I have attached a jpg of the journey and what happened where. Mostly b/c of the cool gps/google mash up, but also cause i don;t think i explained very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.