SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have several void on my deck where the fiberglass is showing and the gelcoat had chipped away. Also some small chips.

What is the best product to apply to the bare fiberglass prior to applying the gelcoat?

I've seen talk of a product called Rage and also something by 3M but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Can anyone out there clarify?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The best 'filler' for small 'voids', gouges, etc. when repairing gelcoat = "Cabosil" aka: WEST SYSTEM Colloidal Silica filler #406.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I do actually have some of this on hand, West Sytem and cabosil.

The reason I asked and thought that perhaps the West was not good for this purpose was that I seem to recall reading conflicting reports about gel coats adhesion to epoxy?

Not sure, I'm quite new to this though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your going to gelcoat afterwards the best product, especially for adhesion and sand ability is Evercoat 27.
Sands easily and great for fairing out any voids. Then gelcoat.

Stay away from cabosil- that's mainly used for bonding and filleting- hard as hell to sand!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with above post. Gel is polyester, so use 3m green or other polyester concoction. Gel won't bond well with epoxy so don't use west system epoxy. The "filler" material (cabosil) is irrelevant to that bonding process

·
Registered
372 Posts
Evercoat say not so. It says on the can do not use over epoxy because of the bonding problem. I just saw this about 3 hrs ago looking at gelcoat listing for repairs on my own boat!!!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
read the article and you will see it does adhere to cured poly about the same as epoxy. but it does work and very well. here is an instrument mount hatch cover, evercoat over west about 4 years old and still looks new. get stood on almost ever time the main goes up

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts