SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started working on the keel of a 1984 Bene First 35'. It is a fin keel bolted to the hull. There is a little rust on the keel in various spots. The keel/hull joint shows a little rust and the caulk on the joint is in pretty bad shape. This past weekend I removed the calk on the keel/hull joint, did a bit of exploratory sanding on the keel. The rust on the keel sanded off pretty easily. Here are some questions:

1. How should the rust spots on the keel surface be prep'd prior to coating? Is sanding good enough?

2. Is there a pad/gasket between the keel and the hull? I am wonding if I should be digging out the "soft stuff" between the keel and the hull, and then replacing it.

3. What is the process/materials for sealing the keel/hull joint? Should it just be cleaned and caulked at each haul out? Should a fillet be added and coated? If a fillet should be added, is it expected to last for many years?

Thanks in advance for all the great experience from SailNet.

Gary G

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
If the rest of the keel has been epoxy coated, then you should spot the bare spots with epoxy, then bottom paint as you normally would. Also put some new caulk in the hull joint.

If the keel does not have epoxy on it, I would highly suggest that you grind the keel to bare metal, epoxy coat, and bottom paint. You will probably have to do this every 10-20 yrs,depending upion how well the original has been done, along with spot doing along the way.

Marty

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Upon sanding the keel, I think there is a coat of anti-fouling paint (the "hard" kind; cheaper), then there is a coating that may be paint (yellowish/white), then there is a grey coating that my guess is a primer. My guess is that the keel is not coated with epoxy. Should the epoxy coating over raw steel keel be epoxy paint, epoxy resin, or something else?

Thanks for the response.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Upon saning the keel, I think there is a coat of anti-fouling paint (the "hard" kind; cheaper), then there is a coating that may be paint (yellowish/white), then there is a grey coating that my guess is a primer. My guess is that the keel is not coating with epoxy. Should the epoxy coating over raw steel keel be epoxy paint, epoxy resin, or something else?

Thanks for the response.
There have been many discussions of Iron Keel Repairs over the years. Do a search on "Iron Keel". For what it's worth there is no pad between the top of an Iron Keel on a Beneteau and the keel stub, just a layer of bedding compound and you don't want to go digging that out at the joint which will only cause problems. A little rusting as you describe is not an issue. Us a stiff wire brush on a drill to remove the rust scale and then "paint" the area with Ospho and/or several thin coats of Petit RustLok primer. With that, you can use epoxy thickened with micro-balloons as a fairing compound to smooth the area followed by a thin coating of epoxy sealer. Caulk the seam between the keel and the keel stub with Life Caulk built up in several thin layers if necessary and then sand and prep the rest of the bottom/keel and apply your bottom paint.

FWIW...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I just did this:

my boat is just like yours, islander 36 with iron keel and steel bolts...

for the joint and this was kind of fast work since we were careened and dealing with tides we first chiseled out old caulking, filler, etc...

beveled the joing using a rotary grinder...

cleaned and then used 5200 fast cure. then since I had a big gap up front we saned and glassed over the leading edge of the keel

for iron and rust since we were in a hurry we used cold galvanizing spray...te grey trailer stuff paint that quickly reacts with bare iron or steel...it worked great and dried fast, then primer, then anti fouling

if I would of been on the hard I would of sanded off all the old paint off the keel and done a complete prep job...with correct primers and iron coat before paint etc...

honestly it was an easy job but we were glassing as the tides were coming...kind of funny...

you can see some pics in the islander 36 projects thread...

peace

for bilge and keel bolts as soon as iget it completely dry Ill be coating it all with ant corrosive paint or rust converter ...the bolts will be wire brushed then painted too...

thats about all you can do unless a complete rebed of the keel with new bolts and such

cheers

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
my pleasure hope it helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts