SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,
I am extremely pleased to finally be the owner of a rebel 16. I got her free w/ trailer from craigslist. The gentleman who gave the boat to me was willing to part with it for free for a sailor. Imagine my elation!

I replaced a trailer tire, strapped it down, and drove it home. After getting it home there is a lot of work that needs to be done. I thought I would list some items and see if anyone has any input.

Already done did:
Removed metal rub rails
Removed a majority of the deck hardware
Sanded port side bow and rub rails

Things I'm finding that need to get completed:
Finish sanding boat down to remove years of bad paint, spider cracks, and rust
Remove waterlogged buoyancy and replace
Replace rotted wood stringers
Reglass most of the cockpit and topside
I believe my centerboard mount might be broken. I will have to do some further inspection and post pics
Put all the hardware back on. From what I've read, I plan to use butyl tape

Again, I'm posting because of how excited I am that I have a boat and just wanted to share what needs to be done.

Attachments

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Congrats! Hope you can enjoy her soon

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's an awesome find, she'll treat you well. Once you have the first work done, sail her. And don't stop. The joy of these boats is the ability to sail often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on your boat. I just got a rebel, too. It also has a soggy bottom. I am thinking about removing the deck, cutting out the floor, and replacing whatever support structure is underneath. I think probably ribs and stringers are imbedded in soggy foam, but I am not sure. What did you find under yours and how did the repair go?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts