SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been landlocked for most of my life and just moved up to Portland this year. It's been cold, but the boats will be launching soon and I'm finally able to realize my dream.

I almost ended up down in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago to take the STCW and look for work on the yachts down there, but I couldn't for various reasons. After years of waiting, I'm looking forward to learning how to sail. I've been on a catamaran down in Cozumel during a cruise, but that's the closest I've come. Have only admired monohulls from afar or at marinas, but have never actually set foot on one. I could get violently seasick for all I know, but I'm eager to find out.

From what I understand, it seems like spring and fall are the best times to try to crew on the east coast? I don't have anywhere near the means to purchase my own vessel, so it will be crew positions until I can learn the ropes, meet people and figure out how exactly one makes something of a career out of this life.

Any sailors in Portland, Maine and New England area, I look forward to running into you (hopefully not literally) over the next few months/years.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet, this is a great place with a lot of good people to help you in your quest. Check into sailing clubs in your area of there are any, they have programs for people without boats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts