SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here I go again, starting a worthless thread with "NO PICS", and I'm sure that a fellow Sailnet member will happily point out that no one is going to believe me until I post some details. :) I know this, but we're not assuming this is "our boat" until after the survey. We're not even considering what we'll name this boat until we know the purchase is going forward--each time we do otherwise, the deal falls through.

As some of you may recall, we've gone down this road before. On boat one, we never came to an agreement, and on boat two, the survey showed unforseen issues (see other threads for details is you're curious). Well, maybe the third time is a charm, right folks? :)

This boat is in the north east, so that makes things a little "different" from our perspective--the boat's on the hard, winterized, blocked in by other boats, etc., not to mention we'll have to sail her down in the Spring, back to the Chesapeake Bay. Geez, when I write it all out like that--I think we might be nuts! :eek:

Anyway, due to availability schedules for everyone (including me, surveyor, the yard, my broker, etc.), the survey will have to wait a couple of weeks. That's part of the way it goes for long-distance purchases, unless I just don't attend the survey, but that's not an option for me personally.

So while there are no details or pics yet, if things go well in the survey, you can be certain I'll post them in short order. In the meantime, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, doing the "hope the survey goes well" dance, sending out "good vibes", and looking for additional ways to keep my superstitions thriving. :D
-J

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Joz-

You are nuts... you're about to try and buy a boat... :) That means you're certifiable. :) I'll keep my paws crossed for ya. :)

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joz-

You are nuts... you're about to try and buy a boat... :) That means you're certifiable. :) I'll keep my paws crossed for ya. :)
Ha ha! I suppose you're right. And thanks!

Thanks to Cam, WinterRiver, and CharlieCobra too!

-J

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Hey, just add my good vibes to the general karma for this one!

Whereabouts in the north east is the boat located? I love that part of the world (though it is bit cold and snowy just now, even for a Scotsman :) ).

When the time comes to sail her down and you need any crew, just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Stuart

·
Registered
702 Posts
Same here for the crew if i have time......any info on the boat????

who cares if its cold it builds character

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Hope this one sticks for you!

I just got the "Satisfaction of Mortgage" form from the prior owner's bank on the boat we just bought and he paid the bank $1,200 more than I paid him (plus he had to divvy also out $3,600 in commissions)!

Not that I'm reveling in his loss but it makes me feel like I did well with the price. On the other hand, what did he know that I haven't discovered that would justify a $4,800 pasting to get away from the boat? Hmmmmm?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
josrulz,
I am not sure if it is out of superstition or what but you never seem to post what kind (make/model/year) boat you are looking at or where specifically or even generally your intended boat is located. I can only doubt that it is a dinghy by the double spreaders shown in your avatar picture. Care to grace us with a few more specifics? It is a buyers market out there right now so I doubt that there hordes of people waiting to buy it out from under you lurking here on sailnet.
Never start a sailing voyage on a Friday.
Otherwise, yes, good vibes sent your way and you will find all the help you need getting your boat back to the Chessy when the time comes. All you need to do is ask and you will find that people are more than willing to help.
Fingers crossed for good luck.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the offers to crew! If I'm in need of help getting the boat back down, you can be sure you'll get a PM from me in the Spring. :)

As for details, sorry everyone. It's not just superstition, it's also that this is a public forum. And details would mean that whatever I say can be tied to the specific boat, broker, yard, owner, etc. I'd prefer to be able to be honest about the process and how I feel about it, and save the boat details for when the boat it actually ours.

The double-spreader rig in my avatar, by the way, is from the Pearson 36-2 that my wife and I chartered this past summer. I took that pic while sailing down the Bay from the Rhode River to Solomon's Island. Wind was aft of the beam at about 18 knots. We we doing 8 - 8.5 knots over the ground on the GPS (not surfing). Eventually the wind came up in the 20 - 23 knot range, so we had to completely furl the main. But even sailing under just the headsail, we made 6 - 6.5 knots. It was a beautiful day (though I was glad we weren't headed north! :)

We hope to have many days like that in our "new" boat. I promise, boat details to come...

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I just got the "Satisfaction of Mortgage" form from the prior owner's bank on the boat we just bought and he paid the bank $1,200 more than I paid him (plus he had to divvy also out $3,600 in commissions)!

Not that I'm reveling in his loss but it makes me feel like I did well with the price. On the other hand, what did he know that I haven't discovered that would justify a $4,800 pasting to get away from the boat? Hmmmmm?
Thanks Delirious! Sounds like you got a good deal. Most likely, it's more about him having the boat on the market for a while and needing to unload it for financial reasons. If you bought the boat I think you did, it looked like a very nice example. I really like the 31-2--the one we chartered a couple years ago was a very nice sailing boat.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Yee-ha (as they used to say when we were stationed in landlocked Wyoming) and - go you! Hope this one works out to "three's the charm"

Some superstitions for you to beware of:
*never start a voyage on a Friday
*don't paint the hull blue, or Neptune will try to reclaim his own
*put a coin under the mast
*don't put too many letter "A"s in the name

(in other words, wishing you good luck!)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The coin should be silver, as it is to be used for payment of the ferryman should the ship go down... and Charon only accepts silver in payment. :)
Yee-ha (as they used to say when we were stationed in landlocked Wyoming) and - go you! Hope this one works out to "three's the charm"

Some superstitions for you to beware of:
*never start a voyage on a Friday
*don't paint the hull blue, or Neptune will try to reclaim his own
*put a coin under the mast
*don't put too many letter "A"s in the name

(in other words, wishing you good luck!)

·
Registered
288 Posts

Given the current economic climate taking that kind of pasting doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with the boat. The commissions is what you usually take a beating on in selling/buying a boat so that really shouldn't be part of the equation.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hey, good luck!

David

1 - 20 of 32 Posts