vhf radio
stereo
shore power
loads of stuff
all recipts on repairs and what not
free and clear titlte
brand new boat stands
loads of other stuff

I paid 7k everything works good hull is excellent wireing looks sloppy and needs to be cleaned up and rerouted other than that I'm a happy camper:)

·
19,489 Posts
Nice Christmas present! Congrats... (didn't you used to be a power boater?)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Congrats. Post photos of her when you can, and what are you naming her??

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Congrats on your prize..**:**)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
new boat

Thanks ... merry x mass 2 u 2....yes commecail fisherman 2 years i searched just could'nt find anything wrong with this boat for the cash... theres a link ((pic)) first post.. allthough more of a coastal cruiser than a offshore boat really is in nice shape with loads of new stuff ((mostly the expensive stuff)) just need to drop her in somewhere get the bugs out..major problem .. moorings are like gold here..
as for a name hmm that will take some thinkin probly... lady faith... is on there now and thats fine by me the reason hunter is for the roomy inside not for me but the family more like an apartment in there than camping so to speak

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congratulations! May many, happy miles pass under your keel!

I've owned my 1981 Hunter 30 since, 2001. Not too many differences between our vessels, so I'll share a couple problems I encountered along the way. It would be really helpful if the previous owner gave you some type of service/repair history.

If no recent upgrades have been made, I would suggest replacing all chain plates. Mine looked great until one broke in half. It corroded from the inside out, so there was no way to tell if it in danger of failing. With a deck-stepped mast, this is something that can't be neglected.

If the chainplates have never been replaced, how about the standing rigging? Mine was original and I decided to replace it when I did the chain plates. Glad I did because it was also rusting from the inside out. Same held true for lifelines.

One unusual problem that got picked up during an insurance survey was the base upon which the compression post rests. It's metal, sits in the bilge and rusts away over time. Had the surveyor not caught this when he did, it is likely that my mast would have dropped a couple inches, loosened my rigging and damaged my deck. We built another post around the old one using epoxy.

The only other serious problem I had was with the prop strut. Its made of bronze and electrolysis ate away at it over time. Mine broke during one of my first sails and required getting the boat hauled, strut and prop shaft removed, etc. Was able to get the strut brazed and it lasted me another five years. This time, when it broke, I had to get a new one cast by a foundry in Jacksonville, FL. Five weeks on the hard in Nassau, plus $250 for the new strut, really put a dent in my cruising kitty.

Anyway, you've purchased a great boat, at a great price! Enjoy the heck out of it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations! May many, happy miles pass under your keel!

I've owned my 1981 Hunter 30 since, 2001. Not too many differences between our vessels, so I'll share a couple problems I encountered along the way. It would be really helpful if the previous owner gave you some type of service/repair history.

If no recent upgrades have been made, I would suggest replacing all chain plates. Mine looked great until one broke in half. It corroded from the inside out, so there was no way to tell if it in danger of failing. With a deck-stepped mast, this is something that can't be neglected.

If the chainplates have never been replaced, how about the standing rigging? Mine was original and I decided to replace it when I did the chain plates. Glad I did because it was also rusting from the inside out. Same held true for lifelines.

One unusual problem that got picked up during an insurance survey was the base upon which the compression post rests. It's metal, sits in the bilge and rusts away over time. Had the surveyor not caught this when he did, it is likely that my mast would have dropped a couple inches, loosened my rigging and damaged my deck. We built another post around the old one using epoxy.

The only other serious problem I had was with the prop strut. Its made of bronze and electrolysis ate away at it over time. Mine broke during one of my first sails and required getting the boat hauled, strut and prop shaft removed, etc. Was able to get the strut brazed and it lasted me another five years. This time, when it broke, I had to get a new one cast by a foundry in Jacksonville, FL. Five weeks on the hard in Nassau, plus $250 for the new strut, really put a dent in my cruising kitty.

Anyway, you've purchased a great boat, at a great price! Enjoy the heck out of it!
Thanks yes.. your expert advice would come in extremly handy yes I have a folder with all repairs and recipts of everything since 2000 some motor work new sails lots of the little stuff

The compression post looks good no sign of rust

chainplates not sure will look in recipts an/or close inspection

standing rigging looks good i beleive its stainless and thick I did give a squirt of WD to the ends and tarped the whole boat ((good thing ft of snow))
will look see if they where replaced think they were in 02

prop looks good

boat had a survey in 02 but cant really trust that

wireing looks sloppy will need rerouting//reworkin

what really scares me is I found 4 tubes of bathroom silacone ((5200?)) so what has the wrong silacone in place:eek:

I know the boat was'nt used heavyly in the last 2 years since previos owner is quite Ill

he gave the boat to his neighbor who's morgage was breathing down his neck probly could of got her for 5k but got burnrd a couple of months earlier on a good deal so 7k for boat another 600 for the truck (moved to my yard)
another 400 for tax and title about 8200 when all is said and done

the real problem is finding a a place to moor/slip .. I dont want to pay a million bucks to put her in and rent a slip if we aren't going to take her out sept would be a great target launch date get the bugs out leave in oct for points south for a 6 month scamper :) hopefully dodge hurricane season

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Codmander-

Most of the moorings I know of down my neck of the woods are about $800-900 for the season. Where are you located??

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great deal, now the fun begins. Keep us posted on your journey with her.

Best wishes, Bill

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Codmander-

Most of the moorings I know of down my neck of the woods are about $800-900 for the season. Where are you located??
harwich cape cod pretty slim moorings around here havnt really looked yet being of limited sailing know how this is all new at least the sailing part but I'm as giddy as a school girl on her 16 birthday :) :)

having the boat ploped in the side yard is awesome wouldnt have it any other way ...wakin up lookin at her getting ideas about this or that.. not to mention just run a cord out for power and tools..removed all the cusions and sail/bags put em away inside a good cleanin with murphys oil soap tryin to find stuff that i need to address --not much thankfully--stero did wet the bed tho... dont know what happened there probly a fuse somewhere --find it later.. still workin up foward .. there is an old thu hull transducer (under port sette) that I will take out and repalce with a underwater light that would be cool ,,,, figure i would work from the bow to aft and inside to outside being winter :)

·
not-so-old salt
156 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing about the maiden voyage!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
LOL... my family has a place out in Harwich... I'd love to visit when I'm out there sometime. :)

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Codmander,
Sounds like you got a good deal on your Hunter 33'.
As to moorings there are some alternatives. You can actually launch your own mooring (in a CG approved mooring area). This requires you to actually buy a mooring and associated ground tackle and set it in the mooring field. The easiest way to do this may be to speak to the actual salty guys who own and operate the 'cows' or cranes mounted on floating docks or work vessels and do the moorings for the local clubs. The mooring people may be able to find you a used 5 - 7 hundred pound mushroom anchor that would suit your boat and would cost from $.50 - $1.00/#. You might need to replace some chain, shackles or other hardware or they could perhaps do it for you for a price. For an additional price they would set the mooring anchor for you and retrieve it in the fall.
In many places in NY (LI) you can actually place your own mooring as the nearby clubs like to use up all the best spaces but if you just pay the local yearly resident 'mooring fee' it will be cheaper (in the long run) to do it yourself then joining one of the clubs. You just need to have your own tender (rowboat, inflatable or whatnot).
At our club on the Hudson River we set and take out our own moorings and maintain them. There is an initial cost which is well offset by costing a lot less year after year; replacing some chain, shackles or swivels now and then. The mushroom for our 27' Tartan cost about $400 a few years ago and we are still using it but we still have to pay club dues (avg. $800/yr). The 19' daysailor I keep near my sisters residence on LI has a 50# mushroom and ground tackle that is self launched and the annual cost for the resident mooring fee to the town is $25/yr. (less then the snack bar minimum fee at most clubs).
Check at the Harwich Town Hall what they charge for an independent resident mooring fee. They will also indicate where moorings are allowed (hopefully).
Otherwise write the check, join the club and enjoy - or do it yourself.
Good luck.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Caleb—

I think part of the problem that Codmander is going to face is the scarcity of decent harbor space. Along that section of Cape Cod, the harbors are kind of small as I recall it from my visits to my family's place out there.

In Harwich, there's only Allen Harbor, Saquatucket, and Harwichport and all three are pretty small IIRC. I don't recall seeing any moorings at Saquatucket, which is right by a restaurant my family eats at all the time.... I haven't been to Allen Harbor, but they're pretty small with a depth of only 5' or so IIRC.

The approaches to all three are in the 3' MLLW range on the charts I have of the area, which can be a problem for many sailboats...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Congratulations, and keep us posted...

David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts