SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tapped the starter.. engine turns.. Whew.. was worried about it this time

Ice in the bilge broke or ripped the wire out of the bilge pump float switch.

The bilge pump tubing had a split in it.

Water and or snow/ice must have found it's way under the sliding companion way access.. I had a mess of water in places it's never been before.

So far so good otherwise :)

·
3,506 Posts
Ice in the bilge? Thought that was from my danfoss compressor, cooling, you know that cold malty, hoppy, amber ale kinda stuff....Is there something you need help on?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike that's what I do. but this winter it got diluted because I didn't get back to boat to check on things like i do during milder weather.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I always dump a half-gallon of the pink stuff in the bilge when winterizing the boat - just to be safe. I do the same with the toilet, and entire freshwater system. Works for me.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ya, this winter got long and boring .... That's why we just flew up to Honolulu from Micronesia .... A few days of surfing, big city amenities, fast internet, then back to tropical atoll weather ... Heh ... Really hope there is no ice jamming the hatch shut.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Mike that's what I do. but this winter it got diluted because I didn't get back to boat to check on things like i do during milder weather.
Same situation for me. Feels good to be using a brush and touching up the bright work these days while waiting for the moorings to be dropped in the harbor. Beats shoveling the snow and ice off of the deck like I was doing last month.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
No pictures till tomorrow but got the boat squared away this morning and got out the canal about 2:30pm. We got lucky today in southeastern New York suddenly a 65-70degree day! Waters plenty cold though with winds quite variable and gusts about 25. I reefed and took time tuning myself and the boat. God it was nice to feel the wind and water again...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am on the hard and even though I cover the hatchway and cockpit with a tarp somehow a little bit of water sneaks in. Nothing as bad as my first winter when I installed new windows in November and did not get the screws tight enough to seal the butyl tape....the floorboards were floating in April.

After that experience and cus I don't have a garboard drain, I drill a couple of holes about 1 " up from the bottom of the keel to let any winter water drain away. I just patched them up today with resin and filler.

Holes in the keel are a bad idea if boat stays in water for the winter.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drilling holes? that is drastic!

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 46 year old boat has a large lazarette cover that's warped and leaks like a seive, no real way to seal it up. No real problem during the summer but the bilge would fill when on the hard and the batteries shut off. I put in a garboard drain and no more problem. Another boat in the yard has the knot meter transducer down in the keel sump, they just pull the core out and then it's a drain. Great planning there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts