SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the C22 is all mine :D

Bottom is going to be repainted next week and I have a new jib on order and I'll be set for many years. The boat lived on a trailer for the last 9 years and was sailed twice a month. It's in exceptional shape. It has two extra hand on jibs that I may have converted for the roller and a brand new spinnaker that's bright red and an I'm very anxious to see that fly....

Very, very, very excited to hone my skills. Please excuse the poor cell phone pictures...

Bow.jpg

stern.jpg

starboard.jpg

Inside.jpg

Inside Table.jpg

·
19,489 Posts
Congrats.. she looks great. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Congrats AZ guy ! C22's are excellent boats . A friend of mine is in AZ. too . He comes out here (So Cal.)in the summer and we spend a few weeks at Catalina Island . Maybe you could do the same ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on it !!! is that an invite, lol...

The whole reason for this purchase is to build my skills set up so I can charter in SoCal next summer. I've taken ASA 101 and 103 and will take ASA 104 in March or April after a whole season sailing out here in Arizona. Then I'll start chartering once or twice a month next summer so I can escape the blistering AZ summers.

Thanks for all the well wishes, after looking at many boat sizes I thought the C22 would be a great started boat since I'm always single handed and know next to nothing, It should be easy to sell when the time comes too...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a great boat on a great trailer. I'm jealous! :)

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Congrats! It's a good looking boat. It's also great that the PO kept it nice for you. Now, what do you mean by "I'll be set for many years."? You did just buy a boat...right ;-)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm jealous that you get to sail you C22 right now, and I have to wait till next May!

Congrats, looks really clean and nice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thought I would mention a couple things that were incredibly helpful on my Venture 22 that you might benefit from having on your C22.

Tiller tamer. This thing is so worth the investment when single handing or wanting to grab a bite to eat while under way.
Tiller-Tamer by Davis

Extra set of long lines that I could wrap on the winches and extend all the way to the front of the tow vehicle. That way when I was loading the boat I could sit in the car while I pulled the boat out and line up the aft end of the boat with the center line of the trailer so I could haul her out in 1 try. I would pass the starboard line through the passenger window and the Port through the driver side. I know it is a bit of a redneck remedy but on really windy days it was a God send.

Running all lines to the cockpit (including down hauls). I could raise and lower both main and Jib from the cockpit and that combined with the tiller tamer I often could get my sails up and down faster than the big boys. It was fun watching them look over in amazement as I was under full canvas and off before they could get the main up.

Jib bags for the hank on sails to keep them attached and the foredeck clean.

See now you are making me miss my Venture!!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Very nice.. I see you got a MKII.. Definite improvement over the MKI...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are great, thanks for the warm well wishes-

It has a tiller tamer but it's not hooked up. It just has the little mechanism on the tiller, no line and no block on the stern or rails, but I can rig something up pretty quickly. I can't see any reason why I can't use the rear cleats or the stern rails for a down and dirty application until I get things figured out.

It has a roller furling, so I think adding a downhaul to the main is great idea and an inexpensive project, especially that I'm adding some lazy jacks. That should be a pretty good set up for dumping the main as I get in the marina without getting up on top by myself.

It has two head sails in sail bags I have not even gotten into yet so I have no idea what size they are but if they are 100 or 115 and in good shape I may hold off on buying a new head sail and send one out to have the hanks removed and converted to fit my furler. It's got to be cheaper, right...???

Everything is much easier and lighter than the C27 I looked at and sent the day on, this was a much better choice for a guy with 20 hours of solo sailing experience, lol....

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Congrats on the new boat!

For the record I don't like the tiller tamer. It makes the tiller feel like it has a lot of stiction even when the tamer is "off". A line pulled across the cockpit and wrapped around the tiller with a clove hitch does about the same thing, but comes off more easily when you want to steer. Try it both ways, but this might be why the tiller tamer is no longer rigged on your boat.

Converting a hank-on sail to a furling sail is probably more expensive than buying a mass produced one design furling sail for this boat. North Sails, Rolly Tasker, and others make the sails in big quantities (relative to almost any other boat) over seas and sell them quite cheaply.

The conversion has to include adding a sun cover and is likely to be at least $300 at a local sail maker. A new roller furling 150% for your boat from North Sails Direct is $500, and a little less from Rolly Tasker.

I'd suggest sailing the boat for a while before making too many rigging changes.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Congratulations on the first boat, of course I'm biased but I don't think you could find a better boat to learn to sail and singlehand on. My 22 has a tiller tamer, roller, reefable main, longer lines and a few other items to make singlehanding easier. You'll be able to find a wealth of knowledge about them online and parts galore for the never ending project list (insert glaring wife here) to make her your own. The 22's are easy to trailer, can be rigged in less than an hour as well as loaded and unloaded from the trailer by yourself. Take her out and let me know how your first sail goes, I'm one of those unfortunate souls that has to live vicariously through others for the next 5 months as my boat is tarped for the winter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are in high season here and will have great sailing weather until June. Winds tend to be stronger and more consistent throughout the winter and as the water temps drop the ski boaters and jet skiers wrap up their season and all that's left on the lake are the sailboats.

I feel sorry for the people that have to store their boat all winter....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts