SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be leaving from Warwick, RI. and heading to Fort Myers, FL. tomorrow. My plan is to stay there from November into May.

When I have moved my boat in the past I have always arranged for a marina slip or mooring to berth the boat BEFORE I have moved the boat. Because I will be sailing the boat over 1500nm, I don't know when (or if) I will arrive. Therefore, this time I have made no arrangements.

The way that I see it I have 3 options:
  1. There are two marinas that can handle my 6' draft nearby. I suppose that I could ask for a transient berth, and then speak with the management about a slip longer term.
  2. There are several homes on canals that rent slips on the canal behind their house. If I were to pursue this, I would have to go to a marina as a weekly transient, and then arrange with a homeowner to move the boat to their back yard.
  3. I suppose that I could simply anchor out with the homeless people in the nether regions of Estero Bay. But I do not trust the security of doing this, and every time that a storm comes through there are several boats that drag into the mangroves. I don't want my boat damaged.
I guess that I am leaning toward option #2.

So my question for those of you that cruise year round; how do you arrange for a place to keep your boat for several months?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point RU!
Yes, hopefully I may be early enough in the season to snag a mooring in the mooring field. Then my questions are; who runs the mooring field, and where is the dinghy dock?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fort Myers Beach Mooring Field: managed by Matanzas Inn Marina at the south end of the bridge (by the dinghy dock). Contact the harbormaster: 239-463-9258 (www.matanzasinn.com). Their website listed prices as $18.00 per day, $103.00 per week, $312.00 per month. All prices include taxes. There is a floating dinghy dock, free mobile pump out service, shower, laundry facility. Thanks!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,779 Posts
I would always lean towards option #1. I like being in a marina, being able to use the facilities there vs filling up my holding tank. I also enjoyed the comraderie of my dock neighbors, being able to share a beer or lend a hand when needed.

In the time of Covid I would likely aim for a mooring ball instead.

·
2,449 Posts
Option #4, wait until you're a week or so out from your final destination then call the marinas and/or homeowners you find on Craig's list. You can also "drive" the neighborhoods around potential residential docks using Google Maps to see what they're like.

I'd avoid anchoring with the mangrove monkeys. If Estero Bay's crowd is anything like the nether regions of Boot Key Harbor you want to avoid it.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
Slip or mooring for me.

I'd be uncomfortable in someone's backyard, unless I knew them reasonably well. They'd have more access to my boat than I. Do they show all their friends around your boat in their back yard? I would also want to know if that practice is legal. I doubt it's the boat owners problem, but one might still get booted and be stuck trying to get their money back.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am on a mooring now, and am leaning toward Option 4. I'm not much of a dock socializer. I saw a T shirt advertised on line that appealed to me. It said; "I like Sailing and Beer ⛵+🍺...and maybe 3 people."

And the crux of my question is/was how do you go about coordinating with the new marina/mooring owner. It seems that I should start calling the Mantazas Inn when I get to Stuart Florida, and keep calling as I progress along the Okeechobee Waterway.

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
I looked into southern slips a few years back (not FL). They were getting pretty full by now, if not sold out. It may be worth risking a little money and locking something up. On the other hand, this is a strange year with Covid. I have no way to predict what that will mean for availability.

All the best on the passage. We'll look forward to a passage report. Weather looks good for departure.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
For those of you that are interested; My crew and I have made it to Cape May, NJ. We have been pinned down for the last two days by high winds. SailFlow predicted 7 foot waves with a 5 second interval at the Delarware Bay buoy.

WIth us are a very new Outbound 46 (Zephyr - passed us in the East River) and a 2017 Jenneau 479 (Miricella - passed us in Long Island Sound). All three boats have been here for 3 nights. We are in an 1987 O'day 35. We arrived before the Outbound, but after the Jeanneau. We are definitely outclassed, but not outsailed.

We hope to push off at 0800 tomorrow.

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
Definitely interested. Keep us up to date. Glad to hear it‘s going well so far. A couple of days of downtime never hurt anyone.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We pushed off just before 0800, and had a delightful 8 hour motorsail (sarcasm inteded) to Ocean City Md. We have a a slip at a very posh marina where we are the ONLY non sport fisher!

Livin' the dream!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Arrived in Portsmouth VA at the Tidewater Marina at 1300 today. Leg 1 completed and the crew has departed.

Crew for leg 2 (Portsmouth to Savannah) has a cold, and is getting tested for Covid19. Life is NEVER easy.

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
Nothing worth doing is easy. I’d want 72 hrs of zero symptoms and two neg Covid tests to coop up with crew2. I don’t even want someone’s cold anymore, especially not during a delivery.

Day hops down the ICW are in your wheelhouse. Press on.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crew says that he tested negative, and feels 95%. He is taking an expectorant. Nice that he told me (yesterday) that he had been ill. He could have said nothing, and just shown up.

I'm going to take a chance, and meet him tonight. If I stop posting, you'll know that I died. 💩

Strange times.

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
bell ringer
4,895 Posts
I don't know what is in the air this year, but I am still taking allergy meds that i normally would stopped taking months ago.

·
Registered
22,368 Posts
Fall allergies driving me nuts this year too. As best I understand it, Covid is not an upper respiratory disease, rather lower. Systemic inflammation (the syndrome) is really the problem. Sneezing and sinus I do not think are common symptoms. Still, I don't want those either. If one is following proper anti-Covid social distancing, I'm not sure how one would contract the common cold either.

Good luck, E.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts