SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Off Oriental NC right now. Heading to Adams Creek to drop anchor, and have a scotch.

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Registered
22,345 Posts
Hey, which scotch? Second best thing to hearing about the passage. :)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Glennlivet 12 year. Crew had never tried scotch before. Now he is a believer...:) But the scotch is running out faster than planned. :sneaky:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good thing you didn't start them out on the 25 year single malt. That could have turned into a pricey delivery! Enjoyable but pricey.

·
Registered
22,345 Posts
If I’m splurging (usually one bottle to share with similarly afflicted family around the holidays), I find 18 yr to be the sweet spot. Very little improvement going to 25, IMO, while it can double or triple the cost of an 18. But, I’ll take a good 12 yr single malt, as a passage reward, all day long. I admit to liking the less peaty, sherry cask aged scotches best.

Hope the crazy toss off weather, from Delta, doesn’t mess with E’s passage. I haven‘t checked anything down the coast.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If I’m splurging (usually one bottle to share with similarly afflicted family around the holidays), I find 18 yr to be the sweet spot. Very little improvement going to 25, IMO

I wouldn't know myself. My brother was a scotch man. I think he was influenced by Yankees while serving as a wing wiper in Korea. He came back eating bizarre food and drinking scotch.
After he passed I was given the task of cleaning out his liquor locker at his winter home here in Florida. Most of the liquor I just gave away. A buddy of his later told me that one of the bottles I had given away was some mighty expensive scotch whiskey. When he told what it cost I almost hit the floor....I hope for the price that he paid that it came with a nice looking hooker.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
discussion of alcohol is off topic.... move it to another thread?????

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We stopped in Southport NC yesterday. There was rain off an on so we found a marina that was convenient to the ICW, and to allow us to jump offshore if the wind cooperates. After dark the dock was popular with scores of Palmetto bugs! Is this common?

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The wind did not cooperate, so we're motoring (again!) and staying in the AICW. Currently near MM 327.

Curious that the AICW mile marks are in not in Nautical Miles.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm still alive. Currently in Savannah, GA waiting on new crew. The tides and currents down here are a surprise. 9 foot tide at the Bull River Marina, where I am currently berthed. The current RIPS by at 6 knots! We tried motoring up the Bull River to get to the marina and were barely making headway until we raised the sail and had to tack our way upriver.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Two nights ago we tried anchoring in the South Edisto River. We were initially anchored in 9 feet of water at low but rising tide, when the wind kicked up from the southeast, the only direction that we were exposed.

I decided to seek protection by moving up a nearby creek. We found a safe looking spot, outside the channel and I anchored fore with my Rocna 15, and aft with my Fortress FX16. All seemed secure, so we went to bed.

About 2 hours later, I woke up for no apparent reason, and I decided to check the anchors. The tide had turned, and it was now falling with over 4 knots of current, and WE WERE AGROUND in the marsh. My depth sounder showed we were in 2 feet of water (the boat draws 5.7). It seems that the Fortress dragged and the wind pushed us into the weeds

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now in a panic, I started the engine and worked the boat out of the mud and weed by running WOT and cutting the rudder hard port, then hard starboard. I also tied a halyard to the Rocna's rode and had the crew crank hard on the winch to heel us.

Fortunately we made it out of the muck after an hour. The Fortress started to dig in again JUST as we came off the mud, so I tied a fender to the rode and threw the whole mess overboard. Once we were clear, and I regained my wits, we dropped anchor, now in 5 knots of current, launched the dinghy, and I recovered the Fortress. When I pulled the Fortress up it was a BALL of mud.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After we secured everything, we set off at midnight for a marina, any marina. Thus our landing at the Bull River Marina.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
After we secured everything, we set off at midnight for a marina, any marina. Thus our landing at the Bull River Marina.
OMG this sounds awful.... One reason to avoid the ditch...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OMG this sounds awful.... One reason to avoid the ditch...
We left the ditch 3 days ago. Edisto River is off the Atlantic, not accessible from the AICW. The anchor fiasco happened in Big Bay Creek.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thankfully, my new crew (today) replenished the scotch supply.

·
Registered
22,345 Posts
Ouch. That's an ordeal. Glad to hear the effective recovery and that you're marching on.

Always curious about Savannah as a winter port. I'm not sure I'd enjoy landing a dock in 4-6kts of current. What do you think of it, absent the midnight nightmare?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Ouch. That's an ordeal. Glad to hear the effective recovery and that you're marching on.

Always curious about Savannah as a winter port. I'm not sure I'd enjoy landing a dock in 4-6kts of current. What do you think of it, absent the midnight nightmare?
I have not seen much of Savannah, as this stop was for crew change, and I needed rest (and a scotch). I also managed to break my toe while here, so I am trying not to walk on it.

People are nice, and rates are ridiculously low compared to what we pay in the north.

The biggest surprise to me is the shoals at each of the river inlets. You can be 3 miles offshore and still have breakers in 1 foot of water! Once past the shoals, the bottom drops to 30 feet.

Reactions: Minnewaska
21 - 40 of 57 Posts