SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Never a good sign to have large plumes of smoke like that...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
You have to love how the other boats in the area made a bee-line over to help.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
At first I wondered what language the tape was in, then I realized it is Scottish! "Luke a Tha boot!"
I've fought boat fires. Fibreglass burns furiously, will melt the metal fittings on board.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Learn to fight fires on board your vessel!! Because NO Fire Trucks will be coming over the Horizon to help you at all. Nope NO Fire Trucks...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
What do you expect, polyester/vinylester resins are basically hydrocarbons... :)
At first I wondered what language the tape was in, then I realized it is Scottish! "Luke a Tha boot!"
I've fought boat fires. Fibreglass burns furiously, will melt the metal fittings on board.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I know that Dog. But many people don't. It is not easy to start a fiberglass fire, you can't do it with a match or lighter. But burning fuel will get it going, then it is very difficult to put out.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
A serious fire on-board is probably the only good reason to step down into a liferaft...and get as far away as possible... since liferafts burn nicely... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fire at Sea

Boasun is correct. When away from the dock, you cannot count on any help with a boat fire. First and foremost is prevention! After that, is to have a good complement of fire extinguishers located where you may gain access to them quickly under various scenarios (such as galley fire, engine fire, etc.). Knowledge and experience in how to effectively use them is important to get maximum results. However, remember, fire extinguishers are for relatively small (incipient) fires, once the fire gains a good foothold, EVACUATE! Remember, life over property! Always keep an escape route behind you when you are trying to fight a fire. Preplan your actions (what would I do if???).
Just a few suggestions from someone who has fought his share of fires, yes even boat fires (never on my own boat),
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts