SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Captain forgot to set his phaser on stun prior to repelling boarders?

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Believe me, this is not an unusual event. Frequently, this happens when someone places an electric heater in their boat, one that is thermostatically controlled, the heater is running, the boat takes a hit from someones ridiculously high wake in a no wake zone, the heater flips over or slides against a flammable surface, and wallah, the boat goes up in flames. Nothing unusual, especially this time of year.

Gary :cool:

·
Chastened
4,860 Posts
Yup.

I was/am absolutely paranoid about leaving electrical loads unattended on my boat.

When I lived aboard, I turned the heat off when I went to work. Boat is cold when I return? Too bad. No fresh water system during the winter? Tough noogies. I don't even like to leave my "smart" battery charger running unattended.

My shore power system is all new, and I feel pretty confident about my install, but I still don't like leaving things running while I'm away.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Believe me, this is not an unusual event. Frequently, this happens when someone places an electric heater in their boat, one that is thermostatically controlled, the heater is running, the boat takes a hit from someones ridiculously high wake in a no wake zone, the heater flips over or slides against a flammable surface, and [voila], the boat goes up in flames. Nothing unusual, especially this time of year.

The boatyard I am in forbids heaters in unoccupied boats. You're saying it could happen with somebody aboard too.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The boatyard I am in forbids heaters in unoccupied boats. You're saying it could happen with somebody aboard too.
It would take a pretty big wake to knock over a heater on the hard! :laugher :laugher :laugher

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
Believe me, this is not an unusual event. Frequently, this happens when someone places an electric heater in their boat, one that is thermostatically controlled, the heater is running, the boat takes a hit from someones ridiculously high wake in a no wake zone, the heater flips over or slides against a flammable surface, and wallah, the boat goes up in flames. Nothing unusual, especially this time of year.

Yes that can and does happen but today most electric heaters are UL tip over protected as are most LPG heaters such as the Mr. Heater etc.

The most likely cause of winter fires is in the shore power system when loaded up with heaters and high loads. The Twist-Lock standard for shore cords we use is horribly dangerous when loaded, corroded and worn....

Electrical fires represent 55% of all the fires on boats...

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

My wife and her previous husband lost a boat just that way one winter down here. The arson investigators recreated it as happening just that way. It fell over and lit up a curtain that hung down to the deck at the aft doorway(it was a sport fisherman).

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Every electric heater I've seen in the past 20? 30? years has had the mandatory tip-over-switch in it. If it gets knocked over, it turns off.

OTOH there's always a better idiot placing the heater too close to a curtain, or where a pillow could fall onto it, or something similar. Which is why the good lord also invented ceramic heaters, that just can't get hot enough to make fires, and those Italian oil-filled portable radiators, which also can't get hot enough to set things on fire. Of course buying those instead of getting the cheapo modified toaster from the thrift store will cut deeper into the beer money. Decisions, decisions...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.