SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
" Your live-on home is afforded the same legal status as a land-based home. This also protects you from illeagle search and seizure. "
What planet did oyu come from, and where can I book a return flight on the next shuttle heading back that way?

In America, a boat is a boat and is sadly subject to many types of boardings and inspections WITHOUT WANT OR WARRANT OR PROBABLE CAUSE. That's the law in all 50 states and all 11 insular possessions, period, no debate, no question, tested, tried, and upheld by all the courts.

Is that illegal under the Fourth Amendment and other laws? Absolutely, but that's immaterial unless you want to be the poster child who can get all those wrong rulings overthrown. And much as I'd appreciate your effort--I couldn't fund it.

Nailbunny, "Mary Land" has a reputation as being a hostile place for many things, among them gun owners and gun rights. I'd suggest you contact the Maryland State AG's office and ask them for an advisory opinion, because short of that, you are back to simply transporting a gun in a motor vehicle (assuming you've got a motor on the boat) and you may very well be held to whatever state laws are on that.

On being boarded, if questioned about weapons you may choose to dissemble and reply "In conformance with United States Naval regulations, I cannot confirm or deny the presence of any nuclear weapons on board this vessel."

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
JH, that's OK. Once the local suit picks himself up from the floor, he'll call in the real pros, so at least the rest of the searching will be performed by officers and gentlemen. (G)

Besides, it creates full employment in the homeland security, ergh, civil defense, ergh, domestic terrorism industry, and isn't full employment a good thing?

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
"If the houseboat is my residence, then it's a residence. "
Who said HOUSEboat? You said BOAT. While most folks might consider a houseboat to be a residence, most enforcement personnel consider a boat (other than a houseboat) to be a vehicle, and not a residence, regardless of who is living on it.

Ignoring that issue, what you have is the verbal and unproven opinion of some guy who picked up a phone. That is a very dangerous foundation tpo build upon. Get a written formal "advisory opinion" from a state law department or an AG's office, and then you have something you can take to court--or show to a watercop. Some guy on the phone? Come on, let's go pearl diving in the shark tank.

And, fwiw, if MD is like most other states you won't be allowed to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a road OR residence, unless you are on private property in an area that specifically does not ban or regulate firearms discharges otherwise. So if your boat is a houseboat and a residence, and you discharge your shotgun from the deck? Catch-22, you might get a summons for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of the residence.

Some guy on the phone? Might just be setting you up. After all, Maryland IS rightfully proud and famous for being "the 55mph speed trap on I95".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.