SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a fireplace on my first sailboat, a Hunter 37, back in the '80s. I was a liveaboard on the San Francisco Bay. It didn't matter what time of the year it was, it was used almost every day, even though I had a shoreside hookup. I had the driest, mold-free boat on SF Bay.
I purchased my PS34 seven years ago and always wanted to install a fireplace but couldn't figure out how to make it happen. I ruptured a disc last August and was rehabbing two months later on the stb settee when it hit me, utilize the existing starboard dorade vent, mount the fireplace on the starboard bulkhead and that's it. I didn't have to cut any deck holes and if I didn't like it, it could be restored back to a vent easily.

I had a Dickinson Newport installed in the Hunter and I loved it. I looked at it again for my PS34 but a Cubic Mini stove caught my eye when I saw that it had been installed on some other vessels, so I bought one along with a SS back shield. (Expensive mistake) It's a beautiful little stove, well built, but it would not draw at all. More smoke went into the cabin than through the chimney.

I just spent $500 and had a great-looking useless, steel anchor on my bulkhead. I sucked it up and bought the Newport from Defender (Fisheries, is closer to me with free freight, but was out of stock). I kept the SS shield and mounted the Newport right on it. While you don't have to have the pipe heat shield, I opted for one anyway. I wrapped the upper pipe in Kevlar muffler wrap and it's cool enough to touch when the stove is operating. On deck, there is one 22" section of pipe that stores easily when underway. This setup is absolutely astounding. One 2" dia x 4" log will burn for 45 minutes and heat the cabin so well you'll be in short pants and a tee-shirt before you know it!

I'll be installing a small fan where the bulkhead lamp is now and I'll be shortening the cushions and building a wood storage box.

Newport installation.jpg

·
deisher6
101 Posts
Hey Beewacker:
Thank you for the post and the picture. Very nice installation. I have been thinking about heat away from the dock so far just bake biscuits to warm up in the morning, reading and viewing about heater installations.

Thanks again.
regards charlie
Windrunner PS 34

1 - 3 of 3 Posts