SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Again, thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up finding a Venture 17 locally with the original trailer for 1k. I jumped on it since I didn't have to break the lock-down to get it. The original mast and sails are present and in working condition, at least from their appearance. The mast step had a crack and I'm in the process of repairing that via core replacement and re-glassing. Given that the launches are closed, I'm likely to separate her and thoroughly clean her up, seems like I've got time before I can use her. I was originally hoping to hop in a boat and play with it on the water but I guess I'll play with it in my yard for a while first :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
OK! an older boat, but that's a great choice based on your criteria. And if everything is in good condition, that's a good price. Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations on the Venture 17.

We did the same by refurbishing her on the trailer. Ours had a bow pulpit but I added 2 stanchions on each side and added lifelines that terminated on the combings. You needed the stern open to drop and steer with the outboard, hence no pushpit. One drawback was the absence of a battery so we used dinghy flashlight type running lights, though we seldom used her after dark. You could hike out leaning on the life lines with the lee rail in the water because the pinned centerboard was heavy enough to keep her on her feet. Good first boat.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts