SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an Ericson 23 and the bed is a little too short so I am adding 8 inches of length. As well a cabinet cavity which will give me the area to eventually install two 12" x 30" x 6" drawers. On the top I will have a 15" X 37" counter top. Also the 8" extension for the bed is removable giving some more storage underneath.

Picasa Web Albums - Todd - Boat Project

I cut the bulkhead running from port to starboard a little light. This is directly under the chain plates and I do not want my 3/4 plywood affecting the natural movement of the hull. I don't want it to be so tight that it would cause rubbing against the fiberglass. Any ideas on something to place between the plywood edges and fiberglass to prevent rub wear on the sides?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Brisco,

Your link didn't work for me. So I couldn't see the photos.

Often times a very high density foam material is wedged between a bulkhead edge and hull to avoid hard spots.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
I used epdm rubber (bought a roll that I use as a gasket/vibration suppression material all over the place). It's really tough and provides good support.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Good pics of the refurb!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Okay, now I can see the pics. Nice work!:)

One change you might consider making would be to open the bulkhead on the starboard side where it spans the forward end of the starboard settee. This would create a "footwell" under the trailing edge of the v-berth and allow you or a smaller woman or kid to spread out more and maybe still use it as a bunk (can't tell from the photos how useful that settee was as a bunk before the modification, though). Our boat is actually configured like this, port and starboard.

Here's the view I'm referring to. You would simply eliminate most of the vertical surface of the bulkhead where it rests on the starboard settee:

Footwell Photo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bulk head that laps over the starboard side settee does make the settee birth 8 inches shorter. But is only 3" high. Not enough to stick your feet under. At the other end of that settee is a stand for our camp stove. So the 6' 4" settee birth has been reduced to about 5'. Which is a loss of space... but we more than compensate for it with added drawer and locker room.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Ah, I see. You're right, 3" would not make much of a footwell. Still, if you could access that space, it would make a good spot for stowing linens, towels, etc. Hopefully you have some access to that area from behind/above the bulkhead. On a small boat, you can't afford to waste any space!;)

Again, nice job.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts