SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I learned to sail last year on 24' sharks on Lake Ontario. I have been searching for a sailbaot I could sail for many years on Lake Ontario. Due to mooring costs I have decided on a 25' sailboat. Something that is fun and stable enough to sail around lake ontario and is easy to maintain. I have been in touch with a gentleman who is selling his Ericson 25+ sailboat. It has a Yanmar inboard desiel engine as well. It has a 4' 11" fixed keel. The boat weighs 5000lbs with 2000lbs of Balast. It is a saltwater boat and I will be bring it to a freshwater lake.
Questions:
1. I have never sailed this boat and I won't be able to do so till I buy it in the next couple of weeks. Do you feel since I have sailed sharks this boat will be comparatively good to sail. I am not a racer but I do enjoy the boat when it heels?
2. Is this a good boat to buy (quality wise & maintainace wise)?
3. Saltwater to freshwater. Any things I should look out for and any preventive measures to take in protecting the boat.

Any other advise you have will be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
please,
there is so much lacking in this post. I dont know where to start. I doubt if anyone intellegent responds. :)
why can you not test sail the boat prior to purchase? distance Ebay purchaser??
wtf i am not this bored.
just do it

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jildooley please don't waste your precious time to reply if you don't have an answer to the questions. As you are so intelligent you maybe surprised to know that in winter time we don't sail on lake ontario as the water is frozen and also where I am purchasing the boat from the weather conditions are the same.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Hi Nadir, welcome aboard.

You probably will not find anyone here who will recommend you purchase a boat, essentially sight-unseen. However, I don't think your post is as "out there" as mr dooley.

I am not familiar with this particular boat, or the shark; am I correct in thinking the shark is something of a centerboard skiff deal? If so, I think the Ericson might be a bit different for you; but I don't know.

Your choice really depends upon how much money the new boat costs, and how much you are willing to risk.

I hope someone can help you more than I; I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we aren't ALL that curmudgeonly. LOL

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AjariBonten Thank You very much for yor reply.
The shark is a keel boat (sailquest.com/market/models/shark.htm). I am getting a survey done by a marine surveyor prior to purchasing the boat. The gentleman selling the boat is asking $11500/ it is a 1983 year boat. It will cost me another $3000 or so (I have to confirm) by the time I get it over to lake Ontario. After the survey is done, I intend to go and have a look at the boat before I purchase it.
I need help from the SailNet Community to share their wisdom about the Ercison 25+ , advise me on my questions and about any potential pitfalls in purchasing this boat.
Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you learned on a shark you'll have no trouble with the Ercison as far as sailing her goes but she will feel a little sluggish in comparism. Docking and mooring will be a little less responsive too remember the shark was a fairly hot boat for her size the Ercison is a bit less of a racer.
have you looked in ontario i onlyn ask because there was an Ercison 25+ for sale in Penetanguishene (lake huron) for $9750. Dont know anything about it , a buddy had mentioned it to me around christmas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is quite a few threads about Ericson down in the Boat Builders Row on this forum. Have you check out that section?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
Ericson makes a good boat, I sailed a 25 centerboard-version many years ago, a nice boat but very tender, the keel model is probably a fine sailor.

That said, $11.5K is a lot of money for this age/size. The boat may be worth that, if in prime condition and well-equipped.

My advice is to hold off on the survey and first look at that boat, and similar listings from New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com. There are several Ericsons in your region, plus look at similar boats like C&C and Catalina.

These are all good makes. After you have looked at 5-6 boats, you can develop a much better feel for value and for what makes you smile when you see her...the most expensive boat may be the best value...or may not. After you've seen a set of boats. make a reasonable offer on the one you like, reasonable being based on how you compare that boat to the others in value. Do a survey only after you have an accepted offer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is what looks like a mint c & c advertised in Kijjii Toronto for 10k that I think would serve you well and I am sure the c & c is even more popular on L. Ont. than even the shark. They look like a fast cruiser, and you would have other boats to race or get information from. I also spotted a Mirage 26 with a diesel that also looked great on the same site for 17k, another fast cruiser, I know my Mirage 275 is :)If you take in your transport costs and such that might be within the budget as well. Lots of Mirage boats in Ontario too. Have fun searching.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I am going to take a little more time before purchasing this boat. Please feel free to continue to post your helpful suggestions.
THANKS

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Erickson generally speaking made one of the better boats in the 70's of the std affordible boats availible. there is also an Erickson forum you can get info online too.

look around, see if other are availible, if not, it will not be bad boat to have!

marty

·
Registered
92 Posts
C&C made many of the Shark 24 one design keelboats.

There is what looks like a mint c & c advertised in Kijjii Toronto for 10k that I think would serve you well and I am sure the c & c is even more popular on L. Ont. than even the shark. They look like a fast cruiser, and you would have other boats to race or get information from. I also spotted a Mirage 26 with a diesel that also looked great on the same site for 17k, another fast cruiser, I know my Mirage 275 is :)If you take in your transport costs and such that might be within the budget as well. Lots of Mirage boats in Ontario too. Have fun searching.

I went from a C&C Shark 24 to a Grampian G-26. Had great success racing the Shark, but won more overall championships racing the G-26. A hell of a lot more comfortable (6'1" headroom) as well.
If it were me, I would be checking locally at some of the yacht clubs. There are tons of real good 25/26/27 footers available locally, many at less than half the price you mention. All freshwater boats too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jim, I would totally agree, there are a ton of good buys out there right now. That c&c 25 I spotted is probably at the very top of the price range for that boat or similar type, but it looked very well kept. I went to the US for my boat when the dollar was at par and saved a bunch. I think you can get a lot of boat for the money right here in Ontario now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just wanted to chime in and agree with the posters that suggest looking at boats that are close to home. I could pretty much pay all my annual yacht club fees for the $3000 you're talking about spending on hauling the boat from the coast to the lake. There are a TON of freshwater boats for sale around Lake Ontario, and the prices are great.

I would highly recommend going and physically inspecting several boats before making a purchase. You'll learn a lot about what you like and don't like. As a first time buying, always get a survey done before making a purchase.

Check boat for sale for Ontario boats.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of you Thanks for the wonderful advise. I will check locally and I do like the idea of physically going and looking at differnt boats. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Take your time.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
NADIR—

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started before going to see any boats. If you do what it says, it will give you a much better idea if the boat is even worth investigating further.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Listen.......To...........The DOG ..................
But NOT if he tells you his name is Sam! ;-}

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks AjariBonten and all of you for your help. Sailingdog thanks for your thread, I am sure many like me appreciate it alot and are greatful for sharing your wisdom.
I will let you all know how my adventure in search for my first boat unfolds.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts