SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post and I just bought my first boat. It needs a little work but nothing I can't handle, it's more a matter of knowing what to fix as I'm a complete beginner when it comes to sailing.

So anyway, as I was working on the boat I noticed a hole in the bottom of the hull, below the water line. It looks like it might be a drain for the bathroom sink but I'm pretty sure a hole on the bottom of a boat can't be good. Can anyone shed some light on what this is/why its there? And I'm guessing I'll need to patch it up, right?

thanks!

(this is on a Catalina 25 btw)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Is there anything attached to the hole? Is there anything near the hole such as a hose, a seac0ck, maybe some electrical wiring for a transducer that was once in the hole? Maybe post a picture of the inside of the boat of the location of the hole. How big is the drain?

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
1970 Columbia 36
12 Posts
Hello, first post and I just bought my first boat. It needs a little work but nothing I can't handle, it's more a matter of knowing what to fix as I'm a complete beginner when it comes to sailing.

So anyway, as I was working on the boat I noticed a hole in the bottom of the hull, below the water line. It looks like it might be a drain for the bathroom sink but I'm pretty sure a hole on the bottom of a boat can't be good. Can anyone shed some light on what this is/why its there? And I'm guessing I'll need to patch it up, right?

thanks!

View attachment 138414
What's on the other side?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Could be a sink drain opening, but also looks like a hole for a depth-sounder or speedometer paddle wheel. It may have been removed at haul-out to keep the lifting straps from damaging it. There should be a plug to fill the space to keep the water out too. They may have removed that after the boat was on the hard to drain any water from the bilge. Look for both inside the boat, or for the seacock on the sink drain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I tried to locate it from inside the cabin but didn't get far. I might try shining a flashlight through it at night and see if any light comes through but as it stands I have no idea what it could be for. I attached an approximate location of where it is, circled in red:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pour some water into that sink in your diagram. If it doesn't drain, look underneath the sink (inside the boat) and open the valve that you will find against the inside of the hull. Then go back to the hole you're asking about, and I'm betting it will be wet.

·
Registered
735 Posts
By the way, it's OK (and pretty normal actually) to have a hole below the waterline as long as the opening inside the boat has a hose or pipe that ends above the waterline. The water will enter the hose no further than the height of the waterline (because "water seeks its own level.")

·
Registered
495 Posts
By the way, it's OK (and pretty normal actually) to have a hole below the waterline as long as the opening inside the boat has a hose or pipe that ends above the waterline. The water will enter the hose no further than the height of the waterline (because "water seeks its own level.")
And a seacock inside the hull so you can close it off. You must have one on the inlet to the head snd probably for the galley sink as well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
And a seacock inside the hull so you can close it off.
Just to be clear for the OP, the seacock is there for security in case the plumbing fails, or while the boat is unattended. It is open during normal use and water will not enter the boat.

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
Up the bow like that its either for that head sink or where the speed/depth gauge goes.

:)

Although holes in the bottom of the boat sounds crazy, most have quite a few. My boat has 13...

·
Administrator
7,540 Posts
What happened? Y

What happened? You got a drill for Christmas?
5 for each heads (bathrooms on my boat), 2 galley, 2 engine.
Ooops, 14.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks!

View attachment 138414
Looks to me like the PO just drilled a drain hole so the rain water can get out.

·
Dirt Free
2,751 Posts
Didn't your surveyor give you a diagram of the location, condition and purpose of each throughull/seacock ?

Attachments

Reactions: olson34

·
Dirt Free
2,751 Posts
Nice diagram, but #1, propane locker drain, below the waterline? Sounds odd
Thats inside hull location. outside is above waterline.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't understand.
Labeled nine below the waterline through hulls. It's below the waterline inside the boat, but above it outside?

·
Dirt Free
2,751 Posts
I don't understand.
Labeled nine below the waterline through hulls. It's below the waterline inside the boat, but above it outside?
Yes, on a sailboat with the hull sweep it's below the painted waterline which is above the static waterline but below the actual waterline when heeled. It is therefore considered as a below the waterline sea connection.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts