SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy my first sailboat, have found one interested in...challenger 24, 1978. includes trailer, 8hp. motor. what is a decent price in canadian funds? any comments on this boat. i''ll be sailing in lake erie, canadian side of course. any thoughts appreciated. thanks.

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
I am assuming this is a Columbia Challenger which was a raised deck 24 footer from the 1960''s. I am not familiar with the exchange rates but in sailing condition that boat should cost somewhere between $3,000 U.S. and $5000 U.S. depending on condition. At $5000 the boat should be pristine with relatively good gelcoat or awlgrip, new sails and a nice interior.

These were pretty nice boats in their day but by today''s standards are simple, slow, and wet.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don''t know about that boat. But as one time boat owner looking to trade down from Holder 20. I would say by a smaller boat if your not going to keep it at permanent location or have crew. I am singlehanded sailor and I can handle my 20''boat in and out of the water OK but it gets old and I watch the small boat guys get in and out of the water faster. This and the size of the mast kind of slows down my motivation to go explore other lakes.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, but i bought it. boat/motor/trailer. it is a 1978. 3 sails in good shape. Question, stale odour removal from foam cushions?? we have washed the zip on covers, just the foam pads??

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
I have heard that moth balls are a good way to reduce the smell in foam. I have also heard of using Borates to kill mold and mildew in foam cushions.

That said the foam that should be used on boats is a closed cell foam. Many boats have conventional open cell foam and that will trap molds and mildews, the smell from which cannot be cured without replacing the foam itself.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts