SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advise before I take the plunge. I am a beginning sailor, would keep my boat in the drive, need a low trailer profile for easy launch and retrieve, singlehand-able, weekend-able, easy to rig. For lake sailing and possibly Superior and the Apostles (after a good deal of practice). I have a 1 ton Pick-up so weight isn't an issue. I have enjoyed a good turn of speed and pointing ability and ( I must confess) like to heel.
I've got a long list of candidates but have no idea which are quality boats and which are not. I'm drawn to the S2s. Did they make a retractable keel? The Rhodes 22 sounds interesting. And the Balboa 26. Catalina 22 always comes up. It is bewildering.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tanzer 22's have a long following and are very ocean capable. You can get them with a 3'5 keep or a shoal draft centerboard version which measures only 2'. Very cool little boats that are SOLID, that was our first real sailboat.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I need advise before I take the plunge. I am a beginning sailor, would keep my boat in the drive, need a low trailer profile for easy launch and retrieve, singlehand-able, weekend-able, easy to rig. For lake sailing and possibly Superior and the Apostles (after a good deal of practice). I have a 1 ton Pick-up so weight isn't an issue. I have enjoyed a good turn of speed and pointing ability and ( I must confess) like to heel.
I've got a long list of candidates but have no idea which are quality boats and which are not. I'm drawn to the S2s. Did they make a retractable keel? The Rhodes 22 sounds interesting. And the Balboa 26. Catalina 22 always comes up. It is bewildering.
The 22 is a good choice. THe 250 is a better boat for being out there on for weekends. You will enjoy pulling neither. It is not the forward-back... it is that they are top heavy, and launching and rigging, etc is really a pain. Honestly, you will use it more if you can find a marina to put her in. Take my words for it. When you can just run out, hop in your boat, and go... it is a lot more fun. But spending some hours getting there, dropping the tub, stepping the mast, etc. gets old pretty quick for most people.

Brian

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
I need advise before I take the plunge. ..I'm drawn to the S2s. Did they make a retractable keel? ...
The S2 is a class act boat. I raced a 6.9 in MORC for a few years and enjoyed the boat a lot, very nice design and well made. I highly recommend, well worth the minor premium the name demands.

See S2 6.7, 6.9 & 22 Class Association Web Site ! .

Most S2s 26' and under came with daggerboards.

·
560 Posts
The S2 is a class act boat. I raced a 6.9 in MORC for a few years and enjoyed the boat a lot, very nice design and well made. I highly recommend, well worth the minor premium the name demands.

See S2 6.7, 6.9 & 22 Class Association Web Site ! .

Most S2s 26' and under came with daggerboards.
I agree with the fool, but you should note that S2's are often described as "nicely carpeted" boats.

They liked to carpet EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with the fool, but you should note that S2's are often described as "nicely carpeted" boats.

They liked to carpet EVERYTHING.
Indeed ... however I wouldn't let the carpeting scare you. If it's a real mess (some of mine was a disaster at 30 years old), it's a big job but totally do-able to replace. Rip carpeting down, clean/sand the fiberglass and then paint. If carpeting is the worst thing on your boat then you're probably in good shape.

·
560 Posts
Indeed ... however I wouldn't let the carpeting scare you. If it's a real mess (some of mine was a disaster at 30 years old), it's a big job but totally do-able to replace. Rip carpeting down, clean/sand the fiberglass and then paint. If carpeting is the worst thing on your boat then you're probably in good shape.
How do you like cruising around in your 9.2, Fish? I looked real hard at a 9.2A and wanted to pull the trigger, but the owner's potential new boat failed survey and he held onto the 9.2 for another couple of years.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do you like cruising around in your 9.2, Fish? I looked real hard at a 9.2A and wanted to pull the trigger, but the owner's potential new boat failed survey and he held onto the 9.2 for another couple of years.
This is my first cruising sailboat, but overall the 9.2A is working out well for me. Has a reputation for quality, which I have found to be generally true, and people who know boats better than me have told me the fiberglass work on my S2 seems to have been very well done. Love the interior layout, I lived aboard all summer was sad to leave. Sails easy singlehanded, I am able to get the boat to sail straight by itself, just using sails which is something I've never been able to do with another boat. I have met people who have sailed this model from Washington to Alaska, so it's capable enough for me. Somewhat slow and seems a bit tender to me sometimes. Biggest complaint right now is that the bilge is VERY deep, like 4 feet, and the engine sits right over it. Engine oil, fuel spills, tools, paper towels and random crap fall in there are a real pain to get out.

Someday when I get more funds I would like a slightly bigger boat, but for a relatively inexpensive live-aboard or coastal cruiser, I think my boat is awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts