SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (16) and I just finished a crewing opportunity delivering a Hunter 38 from Bradenton FL to Destin that included a 24 hour crossing. We were supposed to go to Biloxi MS but engine problems, along with a myriad of other minor issues, ended our trip early.

You can read about it here. I'll be updating in the next day or two to complete the trip's narrative.

Thanks!

·
Lookin' for an excuse ...
154 Posts
I read your blog about the trip. When I used to do deliveries a lot, one of the problems were boats that sat for an extended period of time. Then I would take them out on a delivery and growth inside the diesel fuel tank would break free in a large swell and clog the narrow fuel feed pipe inside the tank. Your description of the engine problem sounds just like it. I assume the delivery captain checked the fuel filter for water and anything else that might clog the feed into the engine but there isn't any way to check the feed pipe.

Not to steal you post, but I've never had any luck with Hunters. I was on a delivery of an older 37 about 10 days ago from NJ to Florida. At least I was until the owner got impatient in the entrance to the Chesapeake and slammed the throttle full while I was in the cabin. Blew the engine - delivery over.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read your blog about the trip. When I used to do deliveries a lot, one of the problems were boats that sat for an extended period of time. Then I would take them out on a delivery and growth inside the diesel fuel tank would break free in a large swell and clog the narrow fuel feed pipe inside the tank. Your description of the engine problem sounds just like it. I assume the delivery captain checked the fuel filter for water and anything else that might clog the feed into the engine but there isn't any way to check the feed pipe.
That's exactly what happened. He changed both fuel filters before we departed Destin and the problem worsened. He has the boat torn apart and is cleaning the tank himself. He was in contact with several friends and one, a Hunter owner, told him to check the tank. Sure enough the feed pipe was covered in algae. The delivery captain is a very capable mechanic/troubleshooter. There were a lot of little things about the Hunter that we didn't like.

Not to steal you post, but I've never had any luck with Hunters. I was on a delivery of an older 37 about 10 days ago from NJ to Florida. At least I was until the owner got impatient in the entrance to the Chesapeake and slammed the throttle full while I was in the cabin. Blew the engine - delivery over.
Owners...whaddya gonna do?

Thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts