SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
There are plenty of blister-free (or already treated) boats out there, but there are many that may show blisters too.. these days, except for the most extreme cases I think it's mostly considered cosmetic, esp in un-cored/solid glass hulls like the Catalinas.

The C30 will be much less tender than what you're used to in the H28, maybe not quite as nimble, but more comfortable/liveable I'd think. Catalina has great customer support all the way back to early models.

More concerning would be issues with deck delamination and moisture intrusion, engine hours/condition/type, things of that nature.. any unpleasant odours when you first step below? Window/port leaks, lots of water or oil in the bilge, and so on.. these are the things to watch for in addition to, or maybe even before, the issue of possible blisters.

It's a buyer's market these days so don't get stuck on any one boat, spend some time looking at a variety - looking is free - and be ready to pounce when the 'right one' appears.

Good luck and welcome to SN

19,468 Posts
Reaction score
I did say you'd notice quite a difference from the H28!..

Sounds like you're going about this the right way.. After looking at a half dozen different boats you'll have a better idea of what appeals to you both - then zone in on a couple of preferred models and start getting more detail oriented.

A usable Cat 30 for under $10K is a nice way to get into cruising and sailing!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.