SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Catalina 400 MKII
Joined
·
818 Posts
Sandy,

Is the wind direction good (not head on)? How about the sea state? Do you have a couple of bail out harbors (or ancorages) in case things do get nasty?

I just went to the NOAA coastal forecast for Savannah, South Carolina:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=CHS&product=CWF&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I DO NOT KNOW YOUR AREA! But ...It sounds like a front moving in this weekend? NE wind coming in at 15 knots. That sounds like you might be fighting your way into a headwind. Not really fun for 60 miles. It might be prudent to wait out the front. What do you think?

Can someone with local knowledge jump in and see if this assessment is correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
.fri...e winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 15 kt in the afternoon.
Seas 2 ft...building to 3 ft in the afternoon.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,187 Posts
From one of the "clowns"


Hilton Head Island, SC Marine Weather and Tide Forecast


Weather looks iffy.....pick another time when you can enjoy it

The NE wind direction vs the outgoing tide will make the inlet run going in pretty rough. A 3-4 foot swell in the ocean can become a -6 foot breaking wave rolling across the east and northern shoals on the entrance in to the port Royal Sound. The Chart already designates breakers in the area.

Also the forecast calls for potential deteriorating conditions with the possibility of a tropical depression nearby
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Catalina 400 MKII
Joined
·
818 Posts
Cap'n Sandy,

If you had experience you might get by leaving tomorrow (Thursday), but I don't think it's a good idea. The front is due to hit Friday, and they sometimes come in early. It just dosen't give you wiggle room. Weather is EVERYTHING (well the boat too!) in these crossings. Good weather can make it a great trip. Bad weather can turn a three hour tour into, well, we've all seen Gillagen's Island…..(sorry, a little humor). No, amigo, give it a few days (or a week or two) and go when the weather Gods are smiling on you.
 

·
Full time cruiser
Joined
·
542 Posts
Yes I have a slip waiting on me at port Royal marina. It's going to be a permanent move as I live in SC. I've been watching passage weather for a couple days now. I plan on leaving Friday for it looks like there is a system that will be here Saturday evening. I'm totally psyched about the trip but nervous at the same time. I've have the boat out in 15-20 knots in the sound and even single handed it in and out of my current slip ( should have been there to see that lol). Nervous part is I only have a Genoa and not a small jib to go good with a reefed main. I've never sailed in open ocean waves just chop in the sound (which sucks BTW) this will definitely be a learning experience.
Just watch the front closely -- we have at times tried to get ahead of a front and it came in early and we got the crap kicked out of us - so just watch closely as if it arrives before you get in - not a good day -

Just saw the weather for your area -- hum -- there is nothing wrong with sitting -- we are sitting in Istanbul waiting weather to run the 18nm Bosphorus Straits - there is absolutely no shame in sitting
And when you get the weather just enjoy a great ride -- I did it single handed - set the a/p put on some tunes sit back with a cold soft drink in hand (we have a rule on SoulMates - NO alcohol while underway - period) and enjoy the ride and have a cold one when you anchor and watch the sun go down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah I'm watching the weather. As of right now seas seam 2 to 3 feet with 5 to 10 knots of wind E. At this moment it looks good to go beam reach all the way up the coast. But tonight before I head down to Savannah I'll check it again and monitor it during the trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
Yeah I'm watching the weather. As of right now seas seam 2 to 3 feet with 5 to 10 knots of wind E. At this moment it looks good to go beam reach all the way up the coast. But tonight before I head down to Savannah I'll check it again and monitor it during the trip.
I have sailed the waters of the southeast coast for well over 40 years. Their inlets, shallow and with fast currents are notorious for the difficulty in transiting during a wind/tide conflict Schedule your entrance to Port Royal Sound at High Tide. Wait at anchor if necessary for slack high tide. The 2016 US Coast Pilot 4, chapter 7, page 67 states," The three large water tanks on Hilton Head Island are the most prominent objects at the entrance to Port Royal sound. The breaking shoals are prominent. The currents generally set fair with the entrance channel, except at the first turn to the NW, here a strong current sets diagonally across the channel from the entrance channel into Bay Point Reach. Lighted Whistle Buoy P (32 05' 08"N., 80 35' 02"W.". Although NOAA chart 11516 indicates (32 05' 14"N., 80 35' 04"W). I live near Augusta, Ga. and I would normally not hesitate to volunteer to sail with you but I have very recently damaged my left arm Rotator Cuff. Hurts like a mother. Be careful, wait for the High Tide. Wait. If the wind is from the west it will be bad enough. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm working on unit 3 and 4.
Well in oder for me to hit high tide I'll have to leave a 4am :sob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Local knowledge aways trumps (also agrees with me). Looks like you have a low sitting offshore to the south east of you predicted to go north west. You have a east wind now (bet ya it's more ne)if the track is what is predicted more than likely the wind will go ne then nw basically anti-clock wise the moon phase right now your slack tides should be around the 6's and 12's.
Like I said local knowledge trumps and prudence is a virtue...
;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
Local knowledge aways trumps (also agrees with me). Looks like you have a low sitting offshore to the south east of you predicted to go north west. You have a east wind now (bet ya it's more ne)if the track is what is predicted more than likely the wind will go ne then nw basically anti-clock wise the moon phase right now your slack tides should be around the 6's and 12's.
Like I said local knowledge trumps and prudence is a virtue...
;-)
I agree. Most competent boaters are also good meteorologists. Knowing where the centers of metrological disturbances and how they interact with your position/s is the key to well planned, safe and uneventful passages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
In worse case scenario what am I looking at?
Given the latest forecast, with winds from the eastern quadrant, first East then NE, which is good for you, you can go inshore with at high tide or a incoming tide, on a beam reach possibly the entire sail, even when the wind veers to the NE, after the turn to the NW at the Bay Reach section of the channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
In worse case scenario what am I looking at?
Given the latest forecast, with winds from the eastern quadrant, first East then NE, which is good for you, you can go inshore with at high tide or a incoming tide, on a beam reach possibly the entire sail, even when the wind veers to the NE, after the turn to the NW at the Bay Reach section of the channel.
That's what I was thinking. If I leave at 4-5am I'll get to port Royal sound right before slack high tide. Only thing is leaving Warsaw sound in Savannah. I would be leaving at an outgoing tide with winds coming from the east. How "bad" will it be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
That's what I was thinking. If I leave at 4-5am I'll get to port Royal sound right before slack high tide. Only thing is leaving Warsaw sound in Savannah. I would be leaving at an outgoing tide with winds coming from the east. How "bad" will it be?
Which river will you be using to get to Wassaw Sound? The Bull or the Wilmington? What's the draft on your boat? The outlet from the Bull to exit the Sound is shoaled up, you have to steer from the Bull River G1 buoy almost SW along the Colregs Demarcation Line, across the shoals in 10 to 12 water to draw abeam of The Wilmington River R 14 Buoy R 14 on your port about 3/4 mile away, You'll know your in the Wilmington by a water depth of 20-25 ft depth. Do not steer directly for the R 14 from G1, due to a 6 ft shoal area about halfway. When you get abeam of R 14 continue on for about 100 to 200 yards then steer approx. SE to R18, and subsequently on to R 2W and deep water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
That's what I was thinking. If I leave at 4-5am I'll get to port Royal sound right before slack high tide. Only thing is leaving Warsaw sound in Savannah. I would be leaving at an outgoing tide with winds coming from the east. How "bad" will it be?
As long as you sail in the GA Bight you'll always be at the mercy of extreme tides and subsequence currents. When the tide and wind counter each other the chop can get real bad real quick. At a minimum it will be a lot of "hobby horsing:" and at the worse you'll simply have to turn back due to the severe hull pounding you'll receive. I've had to simply wait at anchor for hours to just get out many times. Have you thought about going "up" the ICW, I would give it some serious thought.
 
21 - 40 of 89 Posts
Top