SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !
I am picking up a 1978 Pearson 31 tomorrow.
Has the Volvo diesel engine (300 hours ), new sails, roller furling, lazy jack system, new cushions inside and out.
Wonderful condition.

I will post photos once I move to marina.
Apparently this model was only made for 2-3 years before becoming the 31-2.

Thoughts ?

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Welcome. We like our Pearson. Hope yours works out well for you. Good sailing.

·
12,239 Posts
Congrats
Good luck with it

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
Hello everyone !
I am picking up a 1978 Pearson 31 tomorrow.
Has the Volvo diesel engine (300 hours ), new sails, roller furling, lazy jack system, new cushions inside and out.
Wonderful condition.

I will post photos once I move to marina.
Apparently this model was only made for 2-3 years before becoming the 31-2.

Thoughts ?
Congratulations on your new boat. These boats are a flashback to a time long long ago.

I raced a Pearson 31 in Savannah when these were new boats. They were a pretty extreme IOR rule beater raceboat. They sailed pretty well upwind but were pretty squirrelly off the wind and a tough boat to sail in gusty or higher wind conditions and a little dangerous in big seas.

They are fractional rigs making sail handling easier, and they were moderately responsive making them a decent boat to learn on.

The Pearson 31 did not become the Pearson 31-2. The Pearson 31-2 is a completely different design. The Pearson 31 became the Pearson 32 which had a masthead rig, different keel and rudder and slightly different stern that reflected changes in the IOR rule that occurred almost at the same time as the Pearson 31 was introduced.

I thought that the Pearson 31 was nicely constructed and had a decent interior layout. The cockpit worked pretty well for a racing crew but really cramped for cruising. Although a tee cockpit this would be a poster child of a boat that should never have wheel steering.

Jeff

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
Welcome aboard. Enjoy the new boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts