SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson wants to buy his first sailboat to learn to sail initially on a big lake, near where they live in North Carolina.
Since I have no experience of anything under 40’ foot, we wonder if members could suggest what make(s) we might start to look at, in the $3,000-$4,000 range used, and the best site to find same.
It needs to be no longer than 20’ feet, preferably shole-draft with a center-board, and a small cabin with head. The mast needs to be lowerable to pass under bridges. A trailer would be an advantage.
Thanks in advance.
JR.

·
Registered
124 Posts
San Juan 21 would fit the bill too, although just a bit longer. Swing keel, trailer launching is easy, and I know where one will be for sale come spring.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
First you should think about what kind of sailing you want to do.
1. Do you want to stay dry or is getting wet something you would like.
Small dry sailboats think of a row boat with a sail.
(Example a Flying junior)
Small wet sailboats think of a board (no hull) with a sail.
(Example a Sunfish)
2. Do you also want to fish from the boat?
A small row boat with a sail can also be used as a row boat for fishing.
3. Will you go out in cold weather?
If no then an open boat is OK.
If yes then having a small cabin makes sense.
4. Do you want to learn how to sail with a jib or not.
Basically 1 sail or 2 sails.

After you think about these question you can then look for a sailboat that will fit your needs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First you should think about what kind of sailing you want to do.
1. Do you want to stay dry or is getting wet something you would like.
Small dry sailboats think of a row boat with a sail.
(Example a Flying junior)
Small wet sailboats think of a board (no hull) with a sail.
(Example a Sunfish)
2. Do you also want to fish from the boat?
A small row boat with a sail can also be used as a row boat for fishing.
3. Will you go out in cold weather?
If no then an open boat is OK.
If yes then having a small cabin makes sense.
4. Do you want to learn how to sail with a jib or not.
Basically 1 sail or 2 sails.

After you think about these question you can then look for a sailboat that will fit your needs.
I am sorry I did not read you post slowly.
You already answered the questions.

Some recommendations
1. Venture 17 - Cheap swing keel sailboat with a small cabin. (under $2K)
There is a large weight at the end of the keel so very stable when it is locked down.
2. Alacrity 19 - A British twin keel sailboat. (under $2K)
Very stable in bad weather.
The twin keels are great for beaching it and putting it back on the trailer.
3. Compac 16 or 19 A more expensive boar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have now bought a 17' foot open Monark dink. Looks okay, but no cabin or toilet. You can take the horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Thanks for everyone for replies.
JR

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My first choice would be an O'Day Mariner, assuming I could find a nice one. You'll be teaching him maintenance, too?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
They have now bought a 17' foot open Monark dink. Looks okay, but no cabin or toilet. You can take the horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Thanks for everyone for replies.
JR
whats monark dink. any pics? not sure what you mean by horse to water but i would take to mean you grandson did not want a cabin and especially not a head on the boat. Fair Winds to you and your grandson. my grand daughters 5 &7 will soon be sailing a pair of 7' Rye Bay dingies were are building

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oops. Mast lower-able to pass under bridges. That one's gonna be a deal breaker for most boats.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oops. Mast lower-able to pass under bridges. That one's gonna be a deal breaker for most boats.
I missed that also, How low are these bridges, if the clearance is very low, I agree you will look long and hard for one you can lower while on the water. maybe a sailing dingy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My grandson wants to buy his first sailboat to learn to sail initially on a big lake, near where they live in North Carolina.
Since I have no experience of anything under 40’ foot, we wonder if members could suggest what make(s) we might start to look at, in the $3,000-$4,000 range used, and the best site to find same.
It needs to be no longer than 20’ feet, preferably shole-draft with a center-board, and a small cabin with head. The mast needs to be lowerable to pass under bridges. A trailer would be an advantage.
Thanks in advance.
JR.
Montgomery
Thanks in advance.
JR.
Montgomery 15 or 17.https://images.app.goo.gl/kwuR1GsWwpY1U93k7

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks in advance.
JR.
You might want to consider an O'Day Mariner. 19', Draws about 10" with the centerboard up. Lots of used ones at pretty reasonable prices. And one heck of a support group with the Mariner Class Association. Home - Mariner Class Association

I've had one for 10 years and it's a fun little sailboat.

robj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts