SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
As i2f said, it's not definite that you'll make it back if you go across. We had to wait a week to make it across before the north wind stopped. Bimini is a neat place but the town itself is somewhat dying - ever since the Ernest Hemingway hotel/museum burnt down a few years back. The wreck of the Sapona, just south of South Bimini, is pretty neat. There's also a shark research facility and nature trail on South Bimini. On the northwest side of North Bimini is the "Road to Atlantis", a neat snorkel site. If you like marinas, I suggest the Bimini Sands Marina - not too expensive, good facilities, nice people and highly protected. South of Bimini are several cays that are nice to anchor around. Getting to Nassau from Bimini is an overnight trip for the most part. I'd highly recommend getting the Explorer Charts - they are the best charts of the Bahamas and will tell you about what's there. Don't forget that you'll have to buy a cruising permit for a couple of hundred while there.

A couple of links... Bimini Islands Scuba diving sites and snorkel spots with GPS coordinates - Dive Spots and Bimini Guide, Bimini Island Bahamas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.