SailNet Community banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
High and Dry Sailor
13 Posts
Lanealoha,

Sounds like a good trip, thanks for the rundown.

I am looking at doing my first offshore passage soon and I am interested in your perspective of having just done your first.

Any tips? Anything you learned the hard way that I should know? Did you wish you brought something? Did you bring anything you didn't need?

Since this thread drifted way off course I'll get'er back on track.

For the record; Tour complete!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Any tips? Anything you learned the hard way that I should know? Did you wish you brought something? Did you bring anything you didn't need?

Ya, I didn't so much learn anything 'the hard way' as much learning some new things. The biggest hurdle for me really was the whole trash disposal thing, contents in my compost at home are vastly different then what one may discard of in the ocean.

As far as things I wish I would have brought, better food. I would've hit up Trader Joes or something for some better pre-packaged meals. The route the Captain went was pretty much all canned foods which he would try to fancy up for dinner, usually they were barely palatable. Cereal, egg sandwiches for breakfast and lunch Sammys were the best meals of the day. I like cashews and almonds and various nuts so a bunch of mixed nuts were great for non-stop munching. Hot soup was nice for dinner and for keeping on the stove to have on my 2am watches. I also would've brought a huge playlist of music and a small speaker so we had some music, the phone speaker worked but our play list was short. The other crew had downloaded some movies which was cool to have at anchor. I had some podcast on my phone which was cool to listen to as well. I brought a wetsuit in case we had to go in the water for some reason' like diving on the anchor or getting net un tangled from prop, never needed to but if I did the suit would've come in handy for sure. Didn't take heavy enough fishing equipment, hand line would've been easier to travel with and in the end thats what we used and had the best luck with, mono doesn't work so good for a hand line unless its on some kind of a reel or there's probably some trick I don't know about or a better way of hand lining.? I don't know where you are heading but I had just the right amount of warm clothes for night passages, could've probably had a little more as I knew it would be chilly at night on the water but it was a bit colder than I had anticipated.

One thing I didn't like was that being an old boat all the cushions for the berths were upholstered in that 70's style vinyl . Didn't breathe at all so sleeping was really hot and sweaty, I took an old 20* sleeping bag which I couldn't even use as a blanket because body heat would just be trapped, I ended up buying a blanket in Ensenada and that was still almost too much, I ultimately ended up using just a sheet and played with the amount of clothes I would wear to sleep comfortably. It was hard to figure that out, I deducted that it must have been that vinyl that wasn't allowing for proper thermal regulation, it was essentially a vapor barrier which would trap all my body heat.

Where are you sailing, how long? The first 2 1/2 days to Bahia Tortuga was a mind **** in ways but once we spent a few nights at anchor and decompressed the rest went smoothly and routine settled in in a good way that was enjoyable. Have fun!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts