SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hunter legend 40, the marina is going to suck out holding tank Tuesday is there anything I need to do? Any valves or shut offs in need to turn on? Have lived on her for only 3 weeks so still learning Thank you for your help

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
man I cant remember too well but I do remember playing with one valve...basically they just put a nozzle in(or you) and vaccum it...

good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I hoping but seems like fix one thing something else breaks. So didn't want them sucking up the gulf because I didn't shut a valve Thank you for responding

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Harley

It will all depend upon your personal set up.

I think "normal" might be

1 - From the Head to a "Y" valve
- one side of the "Y" goes to the ocean,
- one side goes to the holding tank.​

2 - From the holding tank "probably" only one outlet leading to the deck pump out fitting

BUT!!!!! some have:

2 - From the Holding tank to a "Y" valve
- one side of the "Y" goes to a macerator pump and then to the ocean,
- one side goes to the deck pump out fitting.​

So - check it out carefully - see if you can visually trace the hoses.

Good luck

Rik

·
Registered
22,345 Posts
You should probably take a fresh water hose and run it back into the pump out deck fitting for a minute or so, after they empty. Then empty again. Helps dilute and pick up the sludge. Busy marinas or lazy dock hands may squawk at this, but most expect you will want to.

Personally, I never like holding tank contents to sit more than a few days. One week max.

·
Senior Citizen
435 Posts
Slowly open the deck fitting just in case pressure has built up in the holding tank. I've never seen one blow off but have seen them push out poop due too excessive tank pressure.
-CH

·
Registered
845 Posts
Slowly open the deck fitting just in case pressure has built up in the holding tank. I've never seen one blow off but have seen them push out poop due too excessive tank pressure.
Isn't that why they are hooked to a vent?

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
You went 3 weeks before a pump out?!? Huh. My little tank is good for about 4 days. Here are a few additional suggestions.

Slowly open the pump hose and make sure it is seated well to the deck fitting or it could spew a little when it starts the suction. Don't ask me how I know this...

Toss the hose over the side or in a rinse bucket at the end of the pump out to clear the hose. The next person will appreciate it, especially if spew happens.

I haven't tried this, but read somewhere to add ice cubes to the holding tank and then go out for a hard sail. This will help break loose any stubborn parts. But do this after you've just pumped.

If you're paying someone to come by the boat for this service, consider driving over to the pump out station in the future. It's good for single handling and docking practice skills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts