SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I just finished the acquisition of my first sailboat, a 1979 Buccaneer 305.

I've looked around the net for a bit and I am aware that the boat has a somewhat bad reputation, but other than that, I am having a hard time finding any real info on it.

If anyone has any links to some good information,I would appreciate it.

Anyway, despite all the nay-saying, I am very excited about finally owning a sailboat. It is in, what I feel, very good condition and everything is functional that I can tell. The inboard diesel runs, all the lights work, pumps work. Lots of electronic goodies, like a cockpit mounted gps map system, radar, sattelite radio. Sails are less than 2 years old, and all the required safety items are there, like life jackets and fire extinguishers. Full Galley, flush head and shower.

It is ready to be put in the water by everything I can tell.

For the price, which was FREE, I couldnt pass it by.

I was looking for something smaller but I could never seem to find that just right mix of price vs needed work to close the deal.

I will be sailing on the hudson river, with possible coastal trips around Long Island, but that I think, is the limit of my roaming. I plan to take my wife and two young boys for overnights and trips up and down the river as well as daysailing. Trips like around the Statue of Liberty, or maybe go watch 4th of July fireworks from the water.

While I like sailing, and I've been out on my friends 37 footer many times, my wife likes.... well floating and sunbathing, and lots of comfort.

I think, for this, the 305 will be just fine, since it seems to have lots of room and comfort inside and will be more than able to handle the waters of the Hudson.

So, any info or advice, I am all ears, but I already own the boat, so there is no going back on that. I dont mind warnings and voicing concerns, but it you just want to bash, well, please be constructive.

Thanks!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
welcome to sailnet! Don't let the negativity put you off. We are full of it. I still think negatives about my boat and I've had her nearly 10 years.

Free is good but a post without photos is unforgivable! :D

nice boat.

·
Chastened
4,860 Posts
It sounds like you have realistically matched your goals and expectations to the boat so don't let anyone give you grief.

If you came here saying "I got a free Buccaneer to sail around the world in, what are the best movies I should pack?" well, then we might have something negative to say.

Edit:
Of course if you'd gotten the 320, you could have all these lady-babies lounging on the foredeck...

BUCCANEER 320 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
OK now to ask the deep probing questions. How about the engine, trans, shaft, plumbing etc? As you didn't spend 10 k on the boat you have that much more for "upgrades"!
Congrats again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the plumbing is one thing I didn't get to check since it was late fall and I didn't want to put water in the pipes. It had been winterized before it sat for over a year on land.

I did run the water pumps for both the shower drain and water supply, but there was no water to move. I looked it all over and it all seems good, but it is still an unknown.

The bilge works fine.

The engine was rebuilt 2 years before it went dormant, and the previous owner only took it out twice in the last year it was in the water. So it is in pretty good shape and it starts and runs good.

It was subjected to a survey And everything checked out.

Even though it was free, I wanted to make sure it was not going to cost me a fortune to repair, so I spent several weekends going over it and cleaning it up to make sure it was worth my time. I won't say its a perfect boat, and it has a few known issues, but nothing that put me off the deal.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Congrats on your Bucc 305 acquisition! They are excellent coastal cruisers and great for honing the sailing skills while you move on to the next larger sailboat.

Don't be put off by anyone here... make it a fun adventure and I'm sure we all will enjoy the photos and your commitment to making her a fine vessel... by the way if you rename her... there is a great thread on that too! :D :laugher

There is an excellent thread on 'Low Buck Projects' by BLJones... might want to take a looksie... good stuff there...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her name is "Learning Curve". While I wasn't against going through the renaming process, the family likes the name, and it seems to fit very nicely.

I'll definetly search for that thread, my wife is looking for some ways to make her ours.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,460 Posts
Congratulations! It looks to be in nice shape inside. I have to say that the table lamps in the salon are a little unusual.

Spring will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Her name is "Learning Curve". While I wasn't against going through the renaming process, the family likes the name, and it seems to fit very nicely.

I'll definetly search for that thread, my wife is looking for some ways to make her ours.
I just saw the photos you posted... excellent find and you'll have a blast restoring her and making the best sailing time with your 305... You mentioned 'family' which means all will take a part of restoring and sailing her along making it yours... those times to me are worth more than buying a boat for 20-1000x as much but no one enjoys the passion but you. Priceless moments are what you will have now... enjoy! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The family time is a large part of why I wanted to do this crazy thing.

When my kids are old and I am gone, I want them to tell stories of "when I was a kid my dad took us out on the boat and....."

Making memories!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Lots of freeboard. Take a close look at the boarding ladder and make sure it works great. Wooden treads, solid attachment, good hand holds at deck level. Even if you have to spend money on this, it will be important for family enjoyment of being on the water.
Remember, kids don't like to go for long sails to become one with the sea. They want adventure, friends, and a lot of activities, which will include being in the water, which is where the boarding ladder comes into play. Also, lots of floaty things you can throw overboard for them.
Happy sails to you.
John

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congrats on your new boat! I'd be interested in what sailing the Hudson is like. I live in Albany, but my boat is in Baltimore (Alberg 35), and I'm curious about the water at my front door. Sounds like you are down near the city, though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I enjoy sailing the Hudson. If you are trying for speed, there is allot of zig zagging back and forth, but if you just want to cruise you can go up and down the river.

There are lots of marinas to stop at and lots of stuff to see.

My boat is in Marlboro, just south of Poughkeepsie, so, not NYC.

I plan on heading up Albany way this summer, but I haven't sailed to there yet. I have heard there are good spots.

For us to do the statue of liberty trip, it would be 3 days down and back, but thats part of the appeal for me.

The engine is a 23 hp Volvo, but I don't have the details in front of me right now, sorry.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats! A boat is what you make of it. I got a "free" MacGregor 222 back in 2010 and had someone tell me that I should never take it out on the great lakes as it was a death trap and should be scrapped. I made sure the boat was in ship shape and sailed her on Lake Michigan for 2 great seasons in all kinds of conditions.

You got a good boat to learn on just make sure you know it's limitations. Every boat has them and knowing when to go out and when to stay at the dock is important. You should have good fun and learn alot.

·
Captain Obvious
2,433 Posts
Welcome neighbor. I'm just north of you and have friends in Marlboro.

I have the biggest, fastest sailboat in Highland. This is true but only because the sole competition is a West Wight Potter.

I am probably going to move to either Marlboro or Kingston next year. Are you in the yacht club or the marina? The wind is better in the wide bays ( Newburgh / Kingston ) because the surrounding land mass is lower. Having a cliff on the west shore as in Marlboro and Highland makes for some really awful sailing unless the wind is out of the north or south.

Let me know if you need some experienced crew. We are 10 minutes away.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.