SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I live relatively close to Fisheries and do a lot of business with them. On they whole, they're a very good chandlery with a huge variety of goods but they do have a few weak spots.

It's good to set up an account, which will get you an automatic 5-10% discount on most things. Most of their staff are very knowledgeable and have good attitudes, which I define as willing to help when asked, but few have a warm and fuzzy manner and they'll wait for you to ask them rather than offer help unsolicited.

Returns have never been a problem for me, even after their 30 day deadline. For most things, their prices are good but it's not uncommon to find that they've priced something way out of line so I always check against Redden, Sure Marine (local brick and mortars) as well as online.

Their biggest problem is stock keeping. They will often be out of stock for extended periods on items that you would expect to be in constant demand and that don't have a high inventory cost (e.g. crimp terminals, heat shrink tubing, etc).

If you special order anything, beware. Their default is to add it to their next stocking order rather than to order it for separate delivery. This saves shipping fees but can really extend wait times if it comes from a vendor they don't order from a lot or there's not a lot of demand for items from that vendor. Unfortunately, you can't tell this in advance. If you want it sooner, you'll have to explicitly tell them that you want them to order it separately for you and charge you the associated shipping costs.

Bottom line, they're a good local shop but if I weren't local, I wouldn't order anything that they don't have in stock at the time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Another thing about Fisheries is that they have a huge warehouse downstairs. If stuff isn't on the main floor, ask, and it can usually be brought up in a few minutes.

I agree that Istream that they seem to be slipping in keeping items in stock..
Good point. My MO is to check their stock online before I head in. Fortunately, their inventory counts are usually pretty accurate so if I don't see it on the floor, it's invariably down below.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.