SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been away for a bit - shifting office and commissioning and stuff - so I don't know if anyone's seen this yet:

Pete Goss : North Pole : SeaCart : Playing for Success : Spirit of Mystery

Basically, this guy is setting out from England to Australia via the Cape in a 37' replica 1800's cornish fishing boat called "Spirit of Mystery", retracing a voyage out here made by a bunch of fishermen way back when Joshua Slocum was a kid.

The most amazing bit is that "they will not use an engine and there are no modern electrical and navigational systems." :eek:

According to the Tracker he hasn't got far - but at least they are on the way.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hartley,

Thanks for the link, hope they make it.
So do I. They're planning quite a parade of sail upon arrival down here! :)

..for real (ie. wooden) boats only of course.. :p :D

·
19,489 Posts
Thanks Cameron.

Goss is obviously someone who's "been there done that" and though he's obviously not in a hurry, I expect he'll succeed!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hmmm! Having to rely on their knowledge & skills to make the journey.
Sounds good to me....:D

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm! Having to rely on their knowledge & skills to make the journey.
Sounds good to me....:D
Knowledge & skills? That's pretty rare in this day and age.. :)

In a small wooden (low radar profile) boat with no modern navaids, I just hope they don't meet a freighter standing a Radar/AIS watch with the crew asleep and/or drunk.. ;)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Hartley-

Just cause they don't have modern nav aids...doesn't mean they didn't stick a modern radar reflector up in the rigging. :)

Knowledge & skills? That's pretty rare in this day and age.. :)

In a small wooden (low radar profile) boat with no modern navaids, I just hope they don't meet a freighter standing a Radar/AIS watch with the crew asleep and/or drunk.. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting additional site on a passage to Oz - S/V Falcon GT - Another group of voyagers, these blokes left NYC last Friday in an aluminum 47' cutter that they built themselves in Toronto bound for Melbourne Aus with one stop planned in Cape Town. Spent time with them and marveled at their dedication to the effort and at the stowage of food and water for an eight week trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts