SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a fishing license and crab license in MD on the way down the Chesapeake. It was straight forward and done online. Now that I've crossed into Virginia I've spent 2 days trying to figure it out.

There doesn't appear to be an online way to buy a license. Or at least if there is it's hard to find. I have a small 4 door crab trap from west marine and want to hang it off the side of my boat but can't figure out if I can or not. The most I've found was this line on recreational crabbing:

"Daily Recreational harvest and possession limit. It shall be unlawful to take by using an unlicensed dip net or hand line, or two crab pots, or to harvest or possess for personal use aboard any vessel, more than one bushel of hard crabs or two dozen peeler crabs per day."

It mentions no license or requirements for NON residents like us. I did figure out it is still open season until Nov 30th at least. Any Virginians or cruisers who may know? I tried asking a guy in town here but he knew less than me lol.

·
11,785 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title28.2/chapter2/

You can read the Code of Virginia online at the link above. There are various exemptions and nonresident provisions.
So what’s the specific answer to his question. We can all google search the law
VA certainly doesn't make it easy lol. I finally found a seafood market where a guy there sells state fishing licenses. He was murky on the laws too but assured me I could use up to 2 crab pots as long as I put an R on the float for recreational and the last 4 digits of my SIN for ID purposes....very odd. MD was easy, 10$ on the DNR website and good to go lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So what’s the specific answer to his question. We can all google search the law
People can google search the law, but sometimes they get confused about what to look for or don't even think about going to the actual source.

And maybe people should learn to do their own research. Wasn't that the complaint with today's generation that helicopter parents spoiled them?

Plus, the link to the law is getting the information from the source, not getting random opinions from people that heard it from a friend and read it on facebook.

Perhaps you should follow the link and read through the law and give the OP his answer.

·
11,785 Posts
People can google search the law, but sometimes they get confused about what to look for or don't even think about going to the actual source.

And maybe people should learn to do their own research. Wasn't that the complaint with today's generation that helicopter parents spoiled them?

Plus, the link to the law is getting the information from the source, not getting random opinions from people that heard it from a friend and read it on facebook.

Perhaps you should follow the link and read through the law and give the OP his answer.
It seems to me the OP is asking for local knowledge of the enforcement of the Va Law. I am from MD. I/ he has read the law , that’s not the issue.

I suggest he call the Virginia Department of Inland Game and Fisheries for the correct answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts