SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who fishes / trolls while sailing on the bay and what do you use / catch?

Something I have been thinking about doing. I figure it is a skill I need to develop when cruising..

Registered
Haven't sailed the bay, but I love dragging a line while sailing. I'm out there anyway, and if I hook a fish, it's just a nice bonus. Haven't had much luck here in the Pamlico River but have caught some great fish on offshore trips.

I like trolling a Clark spoon or some kind of bright-colored skirt lure, usually with a small planer to get it down below the surface a little bit.

Registered
Did you know that you need to have a license (at least in the MD portions of the Bay -- not sure about VA)? When I first learned about this, I was surprised. In other areas where I've lived, we only needed a fishing license for inland freshwater.

Every other year, I buy a fishing license for the boat when I renew the state decal. The license is only good for a year and is a bit pricey in my opinion. So I invariably wonder whether it's worth it for the sort of casual trolling we sometimes do.

Every now and again we hook something up. Usually a striper (rockfish) or bluefish. If you are trolling, the key to getting a fish aboard is that you must stop the boat -- you can't just continue along under full sail (unless you're crawling along). This delay can be a bit aggravating, especially if you're clawing to windward on a schedule.

Also, while I've never snagged a "keeper" rockfish from our sailboat, even if we did, the fishing regs require that we "land" the fish before filleting it for the grill. So you can't legally catch a fish enroute, then just eat it at anchor somewhere. You have to bring it ashore first.

Don't mean to discourage you at all, just mentioning some of the practical realities.

Tartan 27' owner
Did you know that you need to have a license (at least in the MD portions of the Bay -- not sure about VA)?

Also, while I've never snagged a "keeper" rockfish from our sailboat, even if we did, the fishing regs require that we "land" the fish before filleting it for the grill. So you can't legally catch a fish enroute, then just eat it at anchor somewhere. You have to bring it ashore first.
Yes, the fishing license for salt water fishing is becoming much more commonplace. It is supposedly an attempt by the 'Fisheries Mgmt' agencies to get a handle on the recreational catch and is now required in NY state.

Having to "land" a fish before eating it is absurd. It is somewhat akin to the tags you used to find on mattresses that read "Do not remove under penalty of law". Neither of these are enforceable. I say eat the evidence!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I knew I needed a license for fishing - $50 for the boat and that will include all persons on board and a license I can carry. I was not aware of the "landing" of a fish.. seems kinda silly - will need to look into that rule..

Do you guys have poles or run a heavy line off the back? How much weight does one need to achieve a good depth?

Registered
Yes I knew I needed a license for fishing - $50 for the boat and that will include all persons on board and a license I can carry. I was not aware of the "landing" of a fish.. seems kinda silly - will need to look into that rule..

Do you guys have poles or run a heavy line off the back? How much weight does one need to achieve a good depth?
The "land the fish first" rule initially seemed silly to me too, but it actually makes a lot of sense. The reason for it is that there are size and take limits. If you were allowed to fillet the fish on board -- there would be absolutely no way to enforce those limits.

I use my surf casting rod for trolling -- but it is large and cumbersome. If you want to fish while underway, much better would be a stubby trolling rod. At anchor, a fly rod would be my first choice.

Registered
I love fishing in the bay $ 50.00 is well worth it. If that is too much I am surprised you have a boat. Wait till you catch a trophy with no motor, I had one hit this spring only 15' out. Kayak fishing is great also.

Registered
I love fishing in the bay $ 50.00 is well worth it. If that is too much I am surprised you have a boat. Wait till you catch a trophy with no motor, I had one hit this spring only 15' out. Kayak fishing is great also.
It's not a question of affording. I like fishing too. I do most of my fishing in the Atlantic, where I don't need a license. Like I said, for the amount of fishing we do from the sailboat in the Chesapeake, I wonder whether it's worth the price. If you get a lot of use from your license, you may feel differently.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

1. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland any striped bass CUT UP or FILLET during the open or closed season for striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

2. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland more than fifteen (15) pounds of any fish CUT UP upon which a size or weight limit is prescribed by law or regulations.

7. during striped bass season to fillet a striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

So under the rules it would seem I cannot go to Annapolis Seafood buy some rock fish and grill it at anchor on my boat ..

Registered
IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

1. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland any striped bass CUT UP or FILLET during the open or closed season for striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

2. to have in one's possession aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland more than fifteen (15) pounds of any fish CUT UP upon which a size or weight limit is prescribed by law or regulations.

7. during striped bass season to fillet a striped bass. Striped bass must be landed whole.

So under the rules it would seem I cannot go to Annapolis Seafood buy some rock fish and grill it at anchor on my boat ..
A literal reading would support that.

If it helps any, I was told that you need only save the wrappers/receipt from the market, at least until you've finished eating it. Once it's no longer aboard, you're compliant again. ;)

Aeolus II
I have a fishing permit for my boat. I think the $50 per year fee high when compared to the registration fee for the boat $24 for 2 years.

That & regulations aside, there have been news stories in the last few days ab out the safety of eating Stripped Bass (Rockfish as it is called locally). See this article

Registered
I use spoons, parachutes and shads when trolling. I tend to have my best luck between Thomas point n G1. Anything else in the bay I just use shrimp as for the rules they give you them when you buy a license. Rember to pull your lines up about every hour and clean off the jellys.

Registered
Caught to rocks on Sunday trolling with poppers and spoons on a ugly stick. First one was at 9:30 am near Bloody point second was at 10:30 am 1/2 between bloody and G 1 to the West river. We where towing 2 kayaks had three lines out and where under sail, get out there and just do it. Too many rules I catch more fish the wrong way then the right way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.