SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Nikko is getting a windvane. I made a mock up of the transom to do some of the preliminary fitting at home. I'm using UHMW for the timber pads (spacer blocks) between the cast aluminum mounting pads and the transom. I have the preliminary angles worked out so the vane shaft will be vertical.

Now the hard part. I'll need to run the timber pads down to the boat and mark the transom curvature. I was figuring on running the pad over a a router bit on a router table and shave off a bit at a time to get the basic curvature and then using some sort of a grinder to get the final fit? Looking for better ideas on doing this if someone has already learned from their mistakes?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Use a cabinet makers template to duplicate the curvature.

·
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a cabinet makers template to duplicate the curvature.
Oh! A new tool to google. I've had decent luck using the appropriately sized fender washer with a pencil in the middle and then just rolling it along the surface to be copied but I'll check out this template tool. Thanks.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts

·
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually looking at one of those at Home Depot last month. It was reasonably priced too, I think it was under $15.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You already know the first trick I was going to suggest, the disc with a pencil through it.
The other thing I've done to get wood flush to a slightly curved surface is to put coarse sandpaper on the surface and rub the block of wood over it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.