SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I cannot comment on the products you cited. But I did a very similar job with four portlights a couple years ago and was very happy with the results.

Each portlight consisted of an upper-half and lower-half aluminum u- channel frame that bolted to the boat, perhaps fifteen bolts around the perimeter of each 2-piece frame. Removing the old plexiglass and cleaning out the u-channel was an ugly job but i wanted to re-use the frames. I had new plexiglass cut the same shape as the old crazed glass and used Dow 795 to bed the plexiglass into the frame's u-channel. This product takes a day or so to cure but then holds and seals very well.

Key to this step was to get the spacing between the upper and lower frames of each port light just right so the perimeter bolt holes align with their matching holes in the boat. I did this by making sheet aluminum spacers for the frames and dry-fitting before bedding the plexiglass.

After the Dow 795 set, it was simply a matter of mounting and bedding the assemblies into the sidewalls where they had been removed. Here I used a thick layer of butyl tape, and i used aluminum rivets in place of the previous bolts to eliminate stainless bolts against aluminum frames. I have had zero leaks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts