SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some of the older wood Flying Junior sailboats sometimes have an open transom. The newer fiberglass boats do not.
My FJ is old it is a 1967 but it is new enough to be fiberglass The stern is closed. At the bottom of the transom is a drain plug.
In two foot waves if I swamp the boat and she is full to the gunwale I am not able to bale her out. The center board is below the water line. Waves will wash over the bow or transom. I have stuffed my shirt in the centerboard well and have bailed swimming on the outside. I have tried climbing in and shifting my weight around and bailing . I have had the sails up and also down I have tried to sail full of water and pull the drain plug like my old sunfish. Once full I am Sail/drifting with the wind until I make the shore, the rocks or cliff wall of the lake. :eek:
I have to ask I have seen pictures of the old boats with an open transom how is it they are able to do it. I have been told a newer hull then my 1967 will float higher and not swamp. I want proof !:rolleyes:
I was able to read Webb Chiles open boat across the Pacific . I am not in the ocean just a lake. I can relate to the end of the book when he is swamped an can not get his boat bailed out.
Is this just poor design poor sailing???
Good day, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shnool You see the problem. The FJ is full with maybe 300 gallons of water a wave washes over the bow and fills up any chance I have of bailing out. Scuttle is the term ? I was able to get to shore drag up and drain. At 180 pounds I Stood on the center board pulling on the main halyard and was only able to get her to slowly come up right. I had also lowered the sails as I was not able to get her back up with the sails up. Flipping fast seams like a good idea. keeping from going turtle was hard . I will say the wind was kind of stiff for me but I was flying that day. A 22 footer broke the forestay of their rig also on that day.
The owner before me filled under the seats with foam but I am not sure what type of foam. I can say she will not sink but she will scuttle
Now if I had a crew maybe I could try to flip faster but with the waves and the wind
Back to what I am looking for might be the air bags ? I like the laser and some of the extreme u tube and they seem not to scuttle
GTG, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should be a closed cell foam. This means it will not absorb water like a sponge. This is used under the seats. You may have some already in place. I could use some help from folks that know more about foam flotation.
Good Day, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply I think a boat that shakes off the water is the answer. My old FJ year 1967 has foam added under the seats. This is added weight and tends to get water logged I do like the idea of a jib and main I like the way the sail is not a (sock) I would like to be able to take the FJ out when the wind is up quiet a bit. I have used a sunfish like this but the FJ is much harder for me to get back up. Once swamped In small white caps I am about done. I can not bail faster than the waves fill it back in. I still sail the FJ and enjoy it as a wet boat I just need to find a small boat low to the water that I can capsize and right in a good wind. A boat to play rough that has conventional The sock sail thing.
I also have a Catalina -22 That I try to use with some good sense
Kind regards, Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts