SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in sailing for a long time, however I do not have much experience with sailing except on optis in summer camp when I was really young. I am 28 now so feel like its the right time to get started in sailing, with an immediate goal to l buy an used cb/db dinghy this summer with moving up according to how quickly I learn. I have read through bunch of posts here and elsewhere, and there seems to be a general consensus that someone new to sailing should start with a dinghy and acquire skills which are subsequently useful to operating a keelboat.

I live in Atlanta, so right now the water is too cold and all the local sailing schools are shut until mid April at the latest. Hence, I am planning to go to Florida for a weekend and get some sailing lessons there. I know a few folks learned sailing just by buying the books or watching videos and by trial and error on their own sail boats but I would much rather get some lessons to build my confidence so I can make a better judgement on which kinda boat I should buy.

My girlfriend had gifted me sailing for dummies and Chapman piloting and seamanship for christmas so I think I am all set in that regard. I have shortlisted a few schools/sailing clubs which offer lessons, and I would love to hear an opinion from folks here.

1)Sailors point at gulfstream Sailing club in hollywood, fl
2) coconut grove sailing club in Miami, fl
3) US sailing of martin county, Jensen beach, fl

The first two ones teach their classes on sunfish whereas last one does it on flying scot. Now, I plan to eventually buy sunfish or laser so I was wondering how useful will it be if I learn on much bigger flying scot. Cost of lessons isn't a big issue, but sailors point is most affordable at $175, whereas coconut grove is $350, and US sailing being $250 for 16 hour group lessons.

Any suggestions are welcome, and if someone has any other reccomendations with regard to any other sailing schools then I am all ears. I am already planning driving 10 hours for the lessons, so I don't mind going somewhere else if any other schools are better, and making a real vacation out of it.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
The Colgate Offshore Sailing School has an operation at South Seas resort on Captiva Island that is worth looking into. The Resort is very nice, with excellent facilities, and the sailing program, taught aboard Colgate 26 boats is quite highly regarded. Several people we know have taken the classes and have been very pleased with the programs offered.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Ive personally seen the Offshore Sailing School, Fast Track to Cruising, course transform a complete newbie to a competent fair weather keel boat sailor in one live aboard week. I suspect the winter is the best time for pricing in FL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're going to take sailing lessons it should be in an ASA school. We have some good ones here in St. Pete and Sarasota. The Miami area is about 10 degrees warmer in the winter but usually more expensive for everything, especially this time of year. Here's the list ]

Enjoy
wfish11, the schools I listed were all affiliated to US sailing instead of ASA; but I'll look into ASA schools too. Since, I am planning to buy a 12-14 ft dinghy like laser or sunfish, I was looking to take lessons for those,and most ASA schools seem to be offering lessons on keelboats only. Would you regard ASA schools as being better than US sailing schools?

svHyLyte: I have heard of colgate offshore sailing school and they definately get good reviews, however, their pricepoint currently is over my budget, since I also have to buy a boat this spring too.

Minnewaska: I have heard the same too about live aboard classes, however the cost of some of those lessons exceed what I am looking to spend on my first boat!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're just thinking of a Sunfish or a Laser (2 totally different beasts) rent one for a day on a lake there and try them out. The place that rents them might even have lessons. The Sunfish is a nice fun boat and the Laser is a racer. Get a good life vest (you're going to get dumped) buy some books on the boat you choose and basic sailing and get started. Most of the schools are aimed at either teaching racing or cruising certification for big boats. Learning to sail takes time you'll need more than a few days at a resort to get the hang of it. Look around for a local sailing club, yacht club, etc. many of these teach sailing as part of youth sailing and they might be willing to teach adults too. Get out there and learn on the dinghies, then when your ready for something larger, take a course. We did the ASA courses but they were geared for getting certified for bare boat renting. They were good and we learned a ton but we owned and sailed 3 boats before we took a lesson (14, 17, 19 ft.) Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.