SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've got the flag size down... 1" of fly for every foot of boat. Cool. But no one addresses how long the pole should be. A 20" X 30" flag on a 24" pole, or even a 30" means there is going to be material almost hanging on the stern. I've got a 30" pole now and think if I put a 20" X 30" flag on that pole, it will be too close to the stern. I'm thinking a 36" pole - to get it off the stern and let it fly freely without touching any part of the stern.

I know flag edicate can be a beat down subject, but what kind of pole length do you have for flag size?

Dave

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Dave I know of no "rule" or "etiquette."

Just keep the flag out of the water that is a given.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Whatever gets her flying high and proud. Ideally, the flag should not drape onto whatever is below it, when the wind dies. However, that's not always practical and no one will criticize. Just do what you think looks best.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
It also needs to be in proportion to the situation. An angled flagstaff might need to be longer, to keep the flag out of the water for example, than a more upright one. An eight foot flagstaff would look screwy on a 30' boat, but might be just right on Shamrock IV. It needs to look good, in balance with the boat. See what looks best, get lots of input from other people (they have to look at it - you're on the boat and don't see it the way they will have to) and you will end up getting it right.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Personally, I like big flags on boats - within a foot or two of the water when limp.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Just saw a boat flying what must be a 10ft x 30ft US flag from their topping lift at anchor. A must buy for holidays!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
I think it looks good when the flag is about as big as the pole. Just make sure it doesn't touch the water.

No, no, no.. that's no good.

A flag-staff should be at least twice the length of the flag hoist so you can salute (dip) the Navy when they cruise past... without the flag getting wet. ;)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
The staff should be of great enough length that the drape of the bunting when not flying does not obscure the stern-light from any quarter. When we are traveling, we hoist our flag on the back-stay to a point about 1/3rd of the height of the main (although it should be 2/3rds).

FWIW...

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Flags are not supposed to be flown at night - they should come down at sunset so there should be no conflict with nav lights.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Unless continuously lit, of course. Better get that additional battery installed.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
A US Documented vessel is required to fly the national ensign (American Flag) whenever entering or leaving port, when in foreign waters and at all times when underway. When moored or at anchor, the national ensign is flown from sunrise to sunset. What folks actually do aboard their own boats, and particularly undocumented yachts, is their choice.

FWIW...

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Dave-
As long as the flag (whatever size you have chosen) hangs freely without touching the boat, the rail, the water or anything else, that's tall enough. You might want to add a couple of inches just in case you upsize the flag at some future date.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
The proper display is from 8am to sunset. More often than not around here, there is a local yacht club within ear shot that will sound the signal cannon to let you know.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
A US Documented vessel is required to fly the national ensign (American Flag) whenever entering or leaving port, when in foreign waters and at all times when underway. When moored or at anchor, the national ensign is flown from sunrise to sunset. What folks actually do aboard their own boats, and particularly undocumented yachts, is their choice.

FWIW...
So what you're saying is: A Documented vessel is required to fly the national ensign (under pain of death or harsh taxes, I presume)..

..but an un-Documented vessel could choose to fly it - or not - as they choose - without fear or penalty?!? :confused:

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
So what you're saying is: A Documented vessel is required to fly the national ensign (under pain of death or harsh taxes, I presume)..

..but an un-Documented vessel could choose to fly it - or not - as they choose - without fear or penalty?!? :confused:
What I'm, saying is what I said. What you choose to do, or not do, is up to you. Frankly Scarlett.....

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
It's like having rules for chewing with your mouth closed. No jail time, but many will notice, if you don't follow it.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
..it's a bit pointless having all them rules then isn't it. :)
As in virtually all of life, there are "rules" the violation of which may not always entail penalties but often consequences. (E.g. the "rules of the road".)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.